Ineligible for Balance Transfer

Options
I have a Bank of Scotland credit card which I haven't used for ages and actually has a small credit balance - about £5. I was thinking of taking advantage of a balance transfer to this card but each time I get a statement it says something to the effect that unfortunately I don't qualify for the balance transfer. Does anyone know why this is, or had a similar experience?

Thanks

Comments

• Bokkens
    Bokkens Posts: 505 Forumite
    Options
    Do you have a high enough limit on the card for the transfer to be accepted?
    There can be a lot of reasons why you are deined the transfer a recent change in your status,remorgaging,unemployment , a new customer etc.
    Ring the customer services and check the basics are in place and working and the account is still active and what if any offers are available to you on the card at this time.
    Make notes on what you are told and then compare the offer to other cards before you agree to transfer any money.
    When you are completely satisfied then go ahead,if not then consider going to another card provider with a better offer,you can have more than one card so this shouldn't be a problem.
    If you are stuck then post here again and we'll see if we can help.
    Previously known as Bokken,registered at MSE in Nov 04,computer glich deleted my access but it is fun building up my stars from scratch,again.:D
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    the bt that i have done have had to be done within 6 months of opening the account .
  • Bokkens
    Bokkens Posts: 505 Forumite
    Options
    Okay ,

Contact Customer services and ask to be put through to the customer retention department and ask them if they will give you a BT offer at 0%.
    If they won't tell them you will go to another card provider.
    If you do this you may have to consider closing the card unless it has a particular use,if the card is not working for you then you should close it and get another more useful card with new offers on it.
    Previously known as Bokken,registered at MSE in Nov 04,computer glich deleted my access but it is fun building up my stars from scratch,again.:D
  • RobertDC
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Will check with customer service as you suggest.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure