Best Cashback/ Points Card?

Options
2»

Comments

• guesswho2000
    Options
    terafarma wrote: »
    Why not give Tandem Mastercard Cashback credit card a try? It gives 0.5% cashback on all purchases both home and abroad. No venture, no gain as the saying goes.

And even this is more than they're making from interchange, so unless their income from interest or other fees exceeds the cashback expenditure, it's unsustainable, but the best (as in 0.5% being the best rate you'll get, not necessarily the best card) you'll get.

Amex is the way forward, for now at least, with a Visa/MC backup for the few places which don't accept it.

I remember the good old days of 1.25% ongoing on the CapitalOne World Mastercard, with 5% for the first three months. Those days are long gone.
  • doleawg
    Options
    Why not give Tandem Mastercard Cashback credit card a try? It gives 0.5% cashback on all purchases both home and abroad. No venture, no gain as the saying goes.

Its a bit of a minor pain to use but I will get 1% with Amex so its worth it, not worth with the amount I spend on CC's to lose that .5%
  • Razoo
    Razoo Posts: 126 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options

I just went onto the Tandem website to apply for the Tandem 0.5% Mastercard Cashback credit card, but baled out when I realised that all Tandem really want to do is promote their Tandem App.

The Tandem App is a money management app that requires a lot of sensitive information about the users' bank accounts. It's not for me!

I couldn't establish whether the credit card would be available if I didn't sign up to the Tandem App.
    _____
    Razoo
  • studentsaver_88
    Options
    Yes you don't need to link any accounts and they do paper statements so you don't even need the app.
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Perhaps an Amex as a main card alongside a cashback/miles earning Visa/Mastercard for the minority of places that don't take it?

:Dthat has been my formula for years.
  • bd10
    bd10 Posts: 347 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 September 2018 at 12:02PM
    Options
    If you do not want miles or travel perks, have you considered Amex's cash back cards? They have two platinum ones with different earning rates. Also, they have a Nectar credit card. Check the math based on your monthly spend if these 3 would make sense. Card management with Amex is very good, a direct debit for the balance in full is straight forward to set up (unlike with Halifax...).
    I would also check the typical spending over the past x months to whether the retailers/shops accept Amex. In my case, all but the dry cleaner accepts Amex, so it was a no brainer for me.
  • doleawg
    Options
    bd10 wrote: »
    If you do not want miles or travel perks, have you considered Amex's cash back cards? They have two platinum ones with different earning rates. Also, they have a Nectar credit card. Check the math based on your monthly spend if these 3 would make sense. Card management with Amex is very good, a direct debit for the balance in full is straight forward to set up (unlike with Halifax...).
    I would also check the typical spending over the past x months to whether the retailers/shops accept Amex. In my case, all but the dry cleaner accepts Amex, so it was a no brainer for me.

Average 45k per annum spend on credit cards, no debt every built up. I would say 97% covered by Amex.
  • Razoo
    Razoo Posts: 126 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Perhaps an Amex as a main card alongside a cashback/miles earning Visa/Mastercard for the minority of places that don't take it?

I want a Visa or Mastercard credit card to back up my American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday Credit Card. I do have a TSB Mastercard, but I'm still having problems with the TSB website. When I try to look at my credit card statements, often as not, I get logged out instead.

I use my American Express Cashback Credit Card for absolutely everything that I can, so I only need a Visa/Mastercard for occasional purchases. Nevertheless, I may as well get 0.5% cashback when I do use it. :)

I noticed that some online retailers won't take American Express, but they will take PayPal. The trick is to open a PayPal account and register your American Express Cashback Credit Card as the primary funding source. That way payments can be made via PayPal and the American Express cashback is still earned.

I also discovered last week that the DVLA will accept American Express (without any additional charge) via their online Electronic Vehicle Licensing web service, but they won't accept American Express via their DVLA telephone Interactive Voice Response (IVR) service. An unexplained inconsistency there, but useful cashback if you use the online service to tax your car.
    _____
    Razoo
  • doleawg
    Options
    Razoo wrote: »
    I want a Visa or Mastercard credit card to back up my American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday Credit Card. I do have a TSB Mastercard, but I'm still having problems with the TSB website. When I try to look at my credit card statements, often as not, I get logged out instead.

I use my American Express Cashback Credit Card for absolutely everything that I can, so I only need a Visa/Mastercard for occasional purchases. Nevertheless, I may as well get 0.5% cashback when I do use it. :)

I noticed that some online retailers won't take American Express, but they will take PayPal. The trick is to open a PayPal account and register your American Express Cashback Credit Card as the primary funding source. That way payments can be made via PayPal and the American Express cashback is still earned.

I also discovered last week that the DVLA will accept American Express (without any additional charge) via their online Electronic Vehicle Licensing web service, but they won't accept American Express via their DVLA telephone Interactive Voice Response (IVR) service. An unexplained inconsistency there, but useful cashback if you use the online service to tax your car.
    _____
    Razoo

I don't see the point. I have to carry my First Direct visa card in case I need cash so just using that now for non-Amex items, Carry a 3rd card just in case I have to spend £10 non Amex, nah?
  • don9999
    don9999 Posts: 586 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have to concur that using AMEX 'can' be a bit of a pain :-(

Despite some people's comments, AMEX is still not accepted in lots of places (near me, at least!).
    I always carry my AMEX and Asda cards - try Amex first, but quite often have to switch to Asda :-(

Surprisingly, even the local Burger Kings don't accept Amex! (was denied at a Cardiff store yesterday).
    Likewise B&M. Celtic Manor. Dentist. etc. etc...

Quite often, I try the Amex only to find that it doesn't work. More often than not, the staff don't even realise their store doesn't take Amex - so they ask you to try re-inserting the card several times, until you realise it's probably because they don't take the card.

So I CAN understand some people being put off using Amex....
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure