Interview tomorrow - I'm scared

Oh God, I have my interview tomorrow at the court and i'm so scared.:eek:

Ive no idea what to expect, and really no idea what to expect during my Bankruptcy. I haven't managed to tell any of my family what I am going through, they will have opinions that I cannot handle right now. My husband who helped build up the debts (most are in my name as I earnt the most) didn't stand by me when I had an initial meeting with an Insolvency guy - didn't wish me luck or, whatever you are supposed to say when going down this route. Needless to say we have now separated just 2 weeks ago.

And I now have this to go through tomorrow. Can anyone shed any light - will there just be one person there for me to talk to, so that when I break down I only make a fool of myself infront of 1 person and not a room full!

Oh my god.... Nervous.

Right another question - as husband has moved out and the only thing that was in his name was the car - which he has conveniently taken with im stuck with 2 children and no car. Does anyone know if I am allowed to have one, how would I aquire one, ie, can I have my name on the ownership papers?

Thanks for listening

Comments

• hanspans
    hanspans Posts: 177 Forumite
    not sure about the question re the car. but i hope all goes well tomorrow for you and thats this is the beginning of the new beginning. your ex is very naughty and you will have the last laugh i am sure. we are all here for you in spirit if not actually there. deep breaths, just go in and state your case xx
    Saving £12k in 2015
    January : £200

:A:A
  • Oh God - thanks - I think Im a bit emotional right now - you made me cry...
  • hanspans
    hanspans Posts: 177 Forumite
    i know what its like. i;ve not done the court thng, but my ex got me into debt and the debt and the relationship breakdown is a killer. i am a year on, and yes still in debt, and still single -but so so so much happier. i have myself back and that is worth millions. sorry to make you cry. i would suggest at this point, getting yourself one glass of something nice, slipping on a soppy movie and having a bit of 'me' time. no amount of panicking (pot calling the kettle black!) will solve anything xx
    Saving £12k in 2015
    January : £200

:A:A
  • Oh God, I have my interview tomorrow at the court and i'm so scared.:eek:

Ive no idea what to expect, and really no idea what to expect during my Bankruptcy. I haven't managed to tell any of my family what I am going through, they will have opinions that I cannot handle right now. My husband who helped build up the debts (most are in my name as I earnt the most) didn't stand by me when I had an initial meeting with an Insolvency guy - didn't wish me luck or, whatever you are supposed to say when going down this route. Needless to say we have now separated just 2 weeks ago.

And I now have this to go through tomorrow. Can anyone shed any light - will there just be one person there for me to talk to, so that when I break down I only make a fool of myself infront of 1 person and not a room full!

Oh my god.... Nervous.

Right another question - as husband has moved out and the only thing that was in his name was the car - which he has conveniently taken with im stuck with 2 children and no car. Does anyone know if I am allowed to have one, how would I aquire one, ie, can I have my name on the ownership papers?

Thanks for listening
    Hello Miserableone and welcome:o
    I hope you'll believe me when i say that the court is the easiest bit about BR. I've never heard of anyone (apart from people who are trying to hide things in a big way) having any problems.
    As an idea of what to expect, you arrive, see a court clerk (who, from what i've read on here) have always been very nice. You go through your papers then swear on the bible (or not, if the bibles not your thing) that its all true to the best of your knowledge.
    Then, sometimes, you have to see a judge, this is done in a small room, not a court, with just you and the judge - though it is different at some courts (high court in london is one) where they tend to do it enmass and have all the BR's in together. Many people don't even see the judge as they're too busy. The next thing is the judge has stamped the BR order and you wait for a chat with the OR on the phone, although again, that can be a face to face interview, but seems to be rare.
    And that is really it. No ones nasty, judgemental or throwing rotten cabbages at you.
    You will then recieve letters from the OR within a few weeks with an appointment for a telephone interview-assuming you haven't seen the OR on the day. Some of the paperwork will need to be signed and returned and all cheque books/cc/statements sent to them too.

Regarding the car, most ORs allow for a car upto the value of £1000, how you pay for that is another matter. Unless you have a kind relative or an awful lot of money left after, you're going to struggle.

I hope that helps a little, and good luck tomorrow, please let us know how you get on. x
    The first time we said hello, was the first time we said goodbye. As the angels took your tiny hand and flew you to the sky-you forever left us breathless. RIP my beautiful granddaughter :(
  • as an add on, i hope you find someone who can provide the emotional support you may need throughout the whole BR. Its can feel very lonely.
    This board, for that reason, is a godsend. Everyones supportive and non judgemental. In the absence of others, we will be your emotional support.
    The first time we said hello, was the first time we said goodbye. As the angels took your tiny hand and flew you to the sky-you forever left us breathless. RIP my beautiful granddaughter :(
  • Thanks - so just another question. Will I be a bankrupt from tomorrow or will that be another date? Will my accounts be frozen from tomorrow, and do you recommend, or am I allowed to withdraw some money b4 hand?
  • Yes you will be BR from the moment the judge stamps the order.
    Accounts usually get frozen a few days later-the ORs tend to be a little bogged down and it can take them a while to let the bank know, but the details of your BR will be on the london gazette website the next day so available to anyone that maybe interested.
    I'm not sure about withdrawing money beforehand. You will have to explain your actions to the OR. If the money is for general liveing on then that should be fine.
    Basicly, all your actions will be explainable to the OR (they will want to know the last time you used your credit card, for example, and why) as long as you can be honest then you'll be fine.
  • Just a big GOOD LUCK for tomorrow , my few hours in court was very easy with very , nice , helpful people........the OR was cool too. Yes you will join the BR gang tomorrow and it will be the beginning of a new start in life. You can change your name to HappyOne then .............:)
    BR 08/09/2007 /DISCHARGED 11/04/2008 :D

A NEW BEGINNING
    DEBT FREE
  • madoldbat
    madoldbat Posts: 474 Forumite
    Hi! Sorry I did not see your post till this moning.
    Big hug for you first.
    Please dont worry about court BLTN is correct people are helpful and understanding as a rule.Its the worry that causes the most stress and after today some of the worst will be gone.
    We will help in anyway we can with support and advice through the rest of it (Im 4 mnths in and still ask questions) someone will have had a simmilar story and can help.
    Good luck for today .
    Let us know how you get on.
    Some of the best lessons we ever learn,we learn from our mistakes and failures.the error of the past is the success and wisdom of the future.:wave: :beer::j
  • Best wishes for today hun!
    Dont be too scared, its not as bad as you might anticipate!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure