Help - Are U Covered If U Pay via Paypal with Credit Card

Options
Hi

I'm a fairly newbie when it comes to Ebay and though I've sold things on Ebay I've never bought anything.

I've seen an item I really want but it's fairly expensive. The seller has a Paypal account and it states I can pay by credit card - if anything were to go wrong, would I be covered in the same way by my credit card company as I would be if I'd gone into the shop and bought somethingTh

Thanks
Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time

Comments

• Dicky
    Dicky Posts: 70 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    WrexhamPCRepairs.co.uk
  • FloFlo
    FloFlo Posts: 32,720 Forumite
    Options
    Personally I'd go into the shop and buy it.
  • molar
    molar Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The answer is maybe not. All depends on who your credit card provider is. Strictly speaking you have no legal protection when it comes to your credit card!! You may have some buyer protection from Paypal though.

Quoted from The Telegraph
    "The legal position is that the credit card company is transferring the money to the payment service company and it is they who are handing it to the organisation providing the goods or services. So the credit card company would only be legally liable under section 75 if there was a problem with the payment service company".

"Research by the Telegraph shows many providers either stick to the strict legal position or they have been unwilling to give us an assurance that they would use the charge-back system offered by Paypal. They include: Citibank, Clydesdale, Egg, Goldfish, Leeds Building Society, Morgan Stanley, Nationwide, Post Office and Yorkshire Bank. All the other major credit card issuers said they would reclaim customer's money in the case of a valid dispute."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/main.jhtml?xml=/global/2006/09/16/cmdeal16.xml
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure