PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Mortgage payments

Options
Hi I'm currently sorting a mortgage and would like to know what's wats best way to pay it off quicker ? Ie extra monthly payments or a lump-sum at a time ?or is it same either way .also I'm getting a 5 yr fixed mortgage,and would like to know if after that when I remortgage ,will the monthly payments go down or not ?? New to all this
Tia

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,225 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The rules may have changed, but when I was paying off early I found the interest was calculated annually, so it was better to pay in lump sum to reduce the "new" capital amount prior to "new" interest calculations

Can't help with second question, sorry
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • campbell19925
    Options
    Instead of paying off extra monthly it might be better to save what you would contribute monthly and benefit off the interest it would accrue in a fixed % savings account. Then pay it off as a lump sum.
  • RosyRed
    RosyRed Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You may be better reposting your question on the Mortgage & endowment board.If you click forum at the top, a list of all other forums comes up and you'll find it there,hope that helps.Good luck with it.
    :heartsmil 'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I would be inclined to pay off extra monthly, depending on how the interest is calculated. If its yearly then save the cash in a savings account and pay a lump sum off, do not lower your repayments keep paying at the same rate, it will pay down the debt quicker. There is a debt repayment calculator somewhere on this site you could put the amount and interest in and see which is the quickest way to pay it off
  • SmlSave
    SmlSave Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Love, any overpayment is better than none - make sure you have an emergency fund first though.

Re remortgaging in 5 years: that's dependant on interest rates at that time and the equity you hold in your property plus house prices. For example - if interest rates go up and house prices go down you could find yourself paying a lot more so have a play with the mortgage calculators and work out some good and bad scenarios
    Currently studying for a Diploma - wish me luck :)

Phase 1 - Emergency Fund - Complete :j
    Phase 2 - £20,000 Mortgage Fund - Underway
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options
    You'll need to read the terms of your mortgage carefully; there may be a limit as to how much you can overpay annually (mine is up to 10% of the outstanding balance).

I overpay monthly; the amount I used to save towards the deposit, plus the difference between rental and mortgage payments.

If you have spare cash each month I would split it between overpaying, easy access saving and higher interest long term saving (if you can find any; I use Premium Bonds as at least there's the thrill of a possible big win).
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Options
    Whatever works for you best really. We always had the intention to overpay lump sums but found we always made excuses and it never happened. I rang santander and asked them to change our monthly direct debit to overpay. Now we just make the payment without a second thought. I have also done a couple of bigger payments as lump sums but found the monthly way to be more effective and you don't notice it. Also agree about checking your t&c. Ours is also 10% or we would incur a fee.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,987 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Chucking the spanner into the works, extra payments to your pension where you get tax relief (free money from Govt) may bring you a better return than overpaying your mortgage.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport