CTC overpayments effect on HB

Options
2»

Comments

• mopixy
    mopixy Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    But you knew the benefits you were receiving were wrong.
    Why did you not put some aside for when the eventuality dropped and had to be repaid.
    You can,t have it always which is what appears you want !!
    1. I had no idea I was being overpaid, otherwise I would have stopped it long ago.
    2. My problem is not repaying to HMRC. I owe them this money. The problem is that my HB had been reduced because of the CTC payments. So it is like the council has been taking £200 of my HB entitlement every month because I was getting £300 CTC (which was overpayments and I didn't know). Now I am paying those £300s back to HMRC while the council does not consider paying the £200 pcm that they took of my HB.

I hope it is clear now.
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mopixy wrote: »
    I do receive HB, recently reassessed based on my income only and no CTC. As I said my problem now is that I have to pay back £3500 to HMRC for 2017-18 CTC overpayments and I am trying to find a way to prove to the system that almost equal to this amount has been taken of our HB during 2017-18. In other words, while I was being overpaid by HMRC I was being underpaid by the Local Council. So there should be a way to get that money back.
    If I couldn't convince HMRC to recover their money through adjustment of my tax code I am gonna have to ask council for reassessment and backdate, which they will probably reject, and then appeal against their decision. Do you think I have a shot?
    There must be still some fairness left in this system.

PS. DHP route would be the last resource, thanks for the hint.

Mo

You had the income at the time of the award, as such the award was correct as it included this income, which you presumably used at that time.

The OP and paying it back is a totally different matter and as you no longer have that income, the award is now correct based on the income you are currently receiving.

Any outgoings are not accounted for in any award of benefits.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure