Unhappy rescue cat? Advice

Options
1235»

Comments

• mr.wendal
    mr.wendal Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I was going to post a big long reply, but instead just do what others have suggested. - watch My Cat From Hell with Jackson Galaxy.

Do what he says.

Good luck it will take time, but it will be worth it in the end.
  • vic_sf49
    vic_sf49 Posts: 533 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    You've got to love a cat with the poop crazies.....or running from the poop ghosts. I think running from the poop is linked to it attracting predators in the wild.... or cats are just nuts.

My poop crazy cat doesn't play with any toys I've bought, but loves playing football with ball shaped flower heads, or chasing flies and spiders.
  • CarbonImage
    CarbonImage Posts: 90 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just thought I’d post a quick update as everyone here has been so helpful!

I had a serious talk with my partner and we agreed we would put in some more effort to making things work. She said she would try harder to not be so reactive, and she was just worried that his behaviour was making me regret getting a cat (not true!)

We have had one wee incident at 4am this morning which he very kindly woke us up to tell us about, but other than that there haven’t been any for the past 3 days. I’m hoping this means we’re heading in the right direction.

I also picked up a wand toy that actually looks like a small animal rather than all the weird, brightly coloured ones we got from Tesco (rubbish selection, was the only shop open nearby when we first got him). My god what a difference! He played with me for almost a solid half hour earlier and then went straight to sleep after his dinner. He is now playing with a little puzzle feeding ball thing I also got him - less enthusiastic but still seems to be enjoying it.

I have watched a couple of Jackson Galaxy’s videos on my lunch breaks and we’re going to try and start ignoring his crying in the morning. It’s going to be super tough though. I’m also going to try and get GF to sit down and watch a few with me as I feel like she needs to hear things from someone other than me!

Side note RE: running from poop, he does this too, but also gets the ‘zoomies’ after dinner and first thing in the morning so I don’t think it’s a sign of anything other than excess energy!

:money:
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Glad things are working out with all 3 of you.

As an Egyptian cat, your feline has the absolute knowledge that he is descended from gods. He expects you to remember this, too.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a rescue as well and its been a challenge to say the least

fortunately I live on farm land, all our near neighbours have cats and he's petrified of the road, so we allow him free range and that has helped enormously , we no longer get woken at silly o'clock as indeed he usually wanders in when he sees a light going on or hears the toilet flush, eats and then settles down for a full day snooze fest :)

Actually Arthur is under house arrest at the moment as he's been very ill ( two nights in the vets ) and he's going stir crazy so is actually engaging in play. He has HUNDREDS of toys and his usual favourite game is to knock them under the sofa or fridge one by one, then he wanders the tops of tables, shelves, whatever and knocks everything he can down

Hes other favourite game is to hide beside doors or on the top step and attack as we go by. Now he's got used to us claws are no longer involved but those first few months we were covered in blood

Arthur does use his litter tray, its huge, usually waits till one of us is in the loo and then comes and sits on his tray

As for affection, forget it. Cupboard love was coined for Arthur. he only comes for stoke when he wants something. never sits on our laps, sometimes will join us on the bed when its very cold but usually prefers to be in another room. Right now he's the far end, as far as he can get away from us, of the corner unit, curled tight in a ball cos he's sulking as he wants out and the cat flap is locked

But he suits us well and we wouldn't be without him now.

For us, always having had dogs, getting a cat has been a learning curve. What we have learned is to read the cat and let the cat have his way as much as is safely possible. No point in trying to cuddle a cat who hates it
  • Rubik
    Rubik Posts: 315 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Very encouraging news. I'm really pleased you've decided to give this little chap the chance of a forever home and happy life with you. :T
  • bmthmark
    bmthmark Posts: 297 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just thought I’d post a quick update as everyone here has been so helpful!

I had a serious talk with my partner and we agreed we would put in some more effort to making things work. She said she would try harder to not be so reactive, and she was just worried that his behaviour was making me regret getting a cat (not true!)

We have had one wee incident at 4am this morning which he very kindly woke us up to tell us about, but other than that there haven’t been any for the past 3 days. I’m hoping this means we’re heading in the right direction.

I also picked up a wand toy that actually looks like a small animal rather than all the weird, brightly coloured ones we got from Tesco (rubbish selection, was the only shop open nearby when we first got him). My god what a difference! He played with me for almost a solid half hour earlier and then went straight to sleep after his dinner. He is now playing with a little puzzle feeding ball thing I also got him - less enthusiastic but still seems to be enjoying it.

I have watched a couple of Jackson Galaxy’s videos on my lunch breaks and we’re going to try and start ignoring his crying in the morning. It’s going to be super tough though. I’m also going to try and get GF to sit down and watch a few with me as I feel like she needs to hear things from someone other than me!

Side note RE: running from poop, he does this too, but also gets the ‘zoomies’ after dinner and first thing in the morning so I don’t think it’s a sign of anything other than excess energy!

:money:

:T Great to hear, it sounds like he will be fine. It may take a few months for him to settle but at least you are trying your best with him.
    It sounds like he is gaining your trust, he will be just fine :beer:
  • WibblyGirly
    WibblyGirly Posts: 470 Forumite
    Options
    Coming to this thread late but I'm glad to hear that your kitty seems to be settling in more! We got ours from a shelter and they said he was very timid etc might take weeks to be friendly with us but we got lucky, after one night he was curled up on our bed purring, enjoying strokes. Yours might just need a bit more time to settle in and realise he isn't going anywhere and that other animals are not coming into the house either. Poor thing has been shuffled around a lot for such a young cat so I think he just needs stability and consistency to make him more comfortable.

Also my cat doesn't zoom around after a poo, he does it after a wee! If it's early in the day I just send him outside to burn his energy off as our house is tiny.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Another Jackson Galaxy fan here. He is the Cat Whisperer.

I have nothing to add to the excellent advice others have given, but hope you and your cat have many happy years ahead.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure