19 and have £500pm to invest, what to do?

Options
Hi i am quite young and am currently working full time and able to put away £500 a month that I hope to invest. I’m not entirely sure what to do? I want to explore different avenues and different ways I can invest but not sure what companies or what ways to do this effectively and also to minimise charges, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What are your goals. Buying a house? Pension?

I'd do the following anyway as it's free money

(a) make sure you're maxing out the contribution you get from your employer's pension.
    (b) stick up to £4,000 pa into a lifetime ISA - government will add another £1,000

Other than that, aim for 3-6 months take home pay as a cash buffer in your bank account.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    edited 9 July 2018 at 8:03PM
    Options
    If you are happy locking it away until retirement then put it into a pension (maximise employer contribution matching and then explore SIPPs) to benefit from the tax relief. If you don't want to lock it up for that long, then use an S&S ISA.

AN S&S LISA is also worth considering, but be aware that you can only access the money for a first house purchase or at 60.

Look at multi -asset index funds like Vanguard LifeStrategy; HSBC Global Strategy; Blackrock Consensus; or L&G Multi Index. These will give you good diversification at low cost. You should still be looking at a minimum of 10 years, and longer would be better.

Platform costs vary, so have a look here: http://www.monevator.com/compare-cheapest-uk-brokerswhich compares them all.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Terry_Towelling Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You say you are 'currently' working full-time; does that mean it is only a temporary thing and may change soon?

Do you mean 'invest' or just 'save'?

Do you live at home, in a rented place or what? Do you plan to buy a house at some point? If you live in your own place you should make sure you have an emergency fund (6 months bills covered minimum) before doing anything else.

Are you allowing yourself some cash to enjoy life?

As Kinger101 said it may be a good idea to establish some goals in life before you can know the best way to save/invest your cash.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Your objectives should be the overriding factor when saving/investing money. What's the best use of the money at the current time.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd second the LISA: nothing else is paying 25% tax-free at present!
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    you could get a couple of 5% regular savers.
    Won't make you a fortune, but good if you want the money in 12 months time
  • swindiff
    swindiff Posts: 868 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Newshound!
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    I'd second the LISA: nothing else is paying 25% tax-free at present!
    Salary sacrifice pension contributions are, 47% :T
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kinger101 wrote: »
    What are your goals. Buying a house? Pension?

I'd do the following anyway as it's free money

(a) make sure you're maxing out the contribution you get from your employer's pension.
    (b) stick up to £4,000 pa into a lifetime ISA - government will add another £1,000

Other than that, aim for 3-6 months take home pay as a cash buffer in your bank account.

What he said
  • Kylet63b
    Kylet63b Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I’m permanently working full time, I would like to save for a house just now, I’m currently still living at home so I don’t have a lot of costs per month so I am able to put £500 away while still having some money aside for myself
  • Kylet63b
    Kylet63b Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Look at multi -asset index funds like Vanguard LifeStrategy; HSBC Global Strategy; Blackrock Consensus; or L&G Multi Index.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure