PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Renting a flat - damage to car in parking - responsibility?

Options
13»

Comments

• InterestedParty2018
    Options
    It is my view that it is impossible to eliminate (or insure) against every risk.

I appreciate that others have concern that this ornament could have fallen on a person. However, this could be said for almost every window in the world which has an opening at low level!

My suggestion would be ensure your direct landlord is aware of the incident, and ask that he raise the matter with the M/A. It may be common sense to most, but maybe a circular to residents to inform them of the incident, and to make all reasonable endeavours to ensure non-fixed items are not left directly in front of an open window. (Children, pet, gust of window, curtain.... any of these could easily knock something over.)
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 July 2018 at 9:48AM
    Options

My suggestion would be ensure your direct landlord is aware of the incident, and ask that he raise the matter with the M/A. It may be common sense to most, but maybe a circular to residents to inform them of the incident, and to make all reasonable endeavours to ensure non-fixed items are not left directly in front of an open window. (Children, pet, gust of window, curtain.... any of these could easily knock something over.)

and from a risk view that is all that is needed to deem the risk actioned by the management company.

However its more tricky to do if the offending flat is not part of the same
    complex and communal areas are much easier to deal with than private areas(those belonging to the leaseholder) I assume the parking space is owned by the leaseholder.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • BanjoBob
    BanjoBob Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OP could you clarify something regarding your opening post?
    Is the neighbouring property part of the complex or owned separately?

Yes, it's part of the same complex, so i've indeed asked my LL to raise it. Risk assessment is a good idea I hadn't thought of. If they then decide a circular of signage is fine.. so be it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure