Accidentally Booked a Holiday Villa in Australia - Trying to Obtain Refund on Deposit

Options

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can someobody else who is going to the wedding take over one of the bookings?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you. I was going to contact the Australian Government next.

Why the government ?

There's other avenues to use before you go to the government.

Still not sure how you can accidently book a villa thinking you were submitting an enquiry.
  • lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Did she pay by credit card? Is a charge back an option here?
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,246 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    lindens wrote: »
    Did she pay by credit card? Is a charge back an option here?

On what basis? I can't see any way this would fit into either the 'fraudulent' or the 'not delivered/available' categories.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    On what basis? I can't see any way this would fit into either the 'fraudulent' or the 'not delivered/available' categories.
    I didn't say there was a basis
    It was a question
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 July 2018 at 11:19AM
    Options
    No, chargeback is not an option here at all. Goods/services are available, and there has been nothing fraudulent.
    OP's only course of action is a claim under whatever Aus law applies here, (possible equivalent of DSR maybe?). If the T&C's say no refund for cancellations, then I can see no case, except under the above.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think I was clear that it was a mistake. I'm not absolving her of responsibility and neither is she. But she thought she was making an enquiry and instead made a booking. I'm not suggesting that there wasn't fault to be found in her actions. I'm just enquiring as to what our legal position is with regards to requesting a refund. In the UK the law is quite clear on the subject. You can request a refund and be refunded. I am seeking advice on whether the same is true in Australia.

Really? So which law offers you this right then?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    In the UK the law is quite clear on the subject. You can request a refund and be refunded. I am seeking advice on whether the same is true in Australia.

Yes, the law in the UK is quite clear and that law states that you may be entitled to a full or partial refund but this all depends on the specific circumstances.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/cancelling-goods-or-services-guide-for-consumers/cancelling-goods-or-services
    Sometimes you’re entitled to a full or partial refund – but you can’t always expect all of your money back if you change your mind.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As your wife booked two properties have you asked the other one for a refund?
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you. I was going to contact the Australian Government next.

No wonder our government is in such a mess, they’re busy fielding enquiries from people who’ve booked a BnB in Skegness on the wrong dates...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure