IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

CPM refused to cancel ticket for my own parking space

Options

Comments

• beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    UKCPM do not offer car park management as their title
    suggest. They treat the sites they stick their signs on
    only as a cash cow .... a scam

Depending what the DVLA say, depends if they are on
    the side of a scammer.

If it goes all the way, no doubt this scammers favourite
    legal will come into play. They are Pinky and Perky
    known as the incompetent Gladstones solicitors

Such cases will result in Gladstones getting another
    whooping in court and you claiming costs against them
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,164 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You have to understand the mindset of any ex-clamper, is not 'customer service' orientated, nor ethical. You can't talk sense to them and have a conversation like you could with a normal firm.

You could argue till you are blue in the face but the industry are scammers.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Upon moving in last year, I noticed the land was controlled (not owned!) by CPM. They have a couple of signs in the car park which is shared with several dozen other residents
    You appear to be missing the obvious, CPM do not control the land, the landowner does, and in this case thats you.
    Who allowed, or said that CPM could operate their business on your land?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • unit_g83
    unit_g83 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Half_way wrote: »
    You appear to be missing the obvious, CPM do not control the land, the landowner does, and in this case thats you.
    Who allowed, or said that CPM could operate their business on your land?

I am unsure who allowed them to 'manage' our land. I have a group chat going with residents of two blocks here and one has stated that our property management and maintenance firm decided to use CPM.

If that's the case, I will be contacting the management company to clarify and at first instance to have them cancel the PCN for my peace of mind. If they refuse (which hopefully they do not) then I will certainly be sending out a horrible letter and CC'ing in a number of individuals, including my local MP.

Once again, thank you everyone!!
  • The_Slithy_Tove
    The_Slithy_Tove Posts: 4,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    unit_g83 wrote: »
    If that's the case, I will be contacting the management company to clarify and at first instance to have them cancel the PCN for my peace of mind. If they refuse (which hopefully they do not) then I will certainly be sending out a horrible letter and CC'ing in a number of individuals, including my local MP
    They will refuse. They will wash their hands of the matter, claiming all sorts of nonsense allowing them (a) to hand out "fines" and (b) absolve themselves of all responsibility. Don't bother phoning them. You will get nowhere. Do everything in writing. Remind them of your ownership of the space, and that CPM - THEIR agent - are trespassing on your property and that THEY (the management company) will be held liable for the actions of their agent.

It's going to need more from you than a few snotty letters. Don't just go off on a rant, it will achieve nothing. As has been indicated by several posters, you need to get "legal" with them, citing the legal reasons why they can't do what they are doing and the legal recourse you will take.
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Before you contact anyone, post it here first.
    You must say the right things to the management company, and you must make then know that you object to a private unregulated company using your property as its own mmoney making space.
    Before you do, check everything, and check again.
    You must be firm with any management company, and you need to say the right things, never phone always email or write, and post on here first to avoid shooting yourself in the foot
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When I purchased my flat (it's my first ever owned property) it was sold to me by the previous owner along with the parking space. Both properties (my flat and the parking space) have separate deeds for leasehold.

As a matter of interest, if the lease for the parking space is separate, what does that lease say with regards to third party rights.

Presume that the first lease (for the flat) says nothing about parking or refers to the second lease in any way - but check. You have two separate contracts which may or may not be related - though you might be able to imply they are.

Lastly who is the head leaseholder/freeholder of the parking space. Presume it is either the builder or someone they have sold the freehold too.
  • unit_g83
    Options
    Wow, thank you for all the support everyone!

This is the letter I have ready to send to CPM. It's unedited - I have left some snide remarks in there so you can see how it was originally written. I have left out identifying detail as I am aware that sometimes CPM might be on these forums

Dear xxxx

Ref xxxx

In response to your letter dated xxxxxxx, it is clear that common sense is something that is not found at UK PCM. If it were, we would not be having any form of written correspondence to each other and CPM would have already cancelled the PCN issued to our family car on my legally owned parking bay. Please be advised of the following:

I, xxxxxxxxx, am the legal owner of Parking Bay xxxxx in the underground car park of xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. UK CPM is not the owner of parking bay 368.

UK PCM maintain no right over my legal property, nor have the right to enforce any PCN on my property. I have not signed a contract with UK CPM granting them full rights to manage my parking bay. The scheme UK CPM purportedly look to enforce is for the protection of residents of xxxxxxxxxxxx. In lieu of this fact, and as stated above, UK CPM are harassing me with especially after I have advised in writing that the car is a family car parked with my permission on my land.

From here forth, should any representative of UK CPM enter the marked lines of Bay xxxxx in order to apply a PCN to any car parked in that bay, it will be counted as an act of trespass. UK CPM do not have my permission to enter my legal property.

As UK CPM have previously entered my property without my permission, I shall seek an injunction against UK CPM and sue for all legal costs unless UK CPM ancel PCN xxxxxx issued against car registration xxxxxx with immediate effect.

The permit in my possession, issued by UK CPM, is held as a gesture of courtesy rather than a matter of a signed contract between myself and UK CPM.

I look forward to your response, and of course, to UK CPM cancelling the PCN.

Cc Lukhbir Singh Gohler, UK CPM
    James Randall, UK CPM
    Dr David Offord MP, Hendon
    'Property management company'
  • unit_g83
    Options
    As a matter of interest, if the lease for the parking space is separate, what does that lease say with regards to third party rights.

Presume that the first lease (for the flat) says nothing about parking or refers to the second lease in any way - but check. You have two separate contracts which may or may not be related - though you might be able to imply they are.

Lastly who is the head leaseholder/freeholder of the parking space. Presume it is either the builder or someone they have sold the freehold too.

I am the leaseholder, but the freehold has been sold on from developer to a third party - adriatic land (they are known for buying up freeholds). I must find the deeds and lease details. It's stored securely somewhere but just need to find where...
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,410 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    UK PCM maintain no right over my legal property, nor have the right to enforce any PCN on my property. I have not signed a contract with UK CPM granting them full rights to manage my parking bay. The scheme UK CPM purportedly look to enforce is for the protection of residents of xxxxxxxxxxxx. In lieu of this fact, and as stated above, UK CPM are harassing me with especially after I have advised in writing that the car is a family car parked with my permission on my land.
    Different PPC!
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport