Where do new/soon to be graduates look for jobs?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Student Money Saving
19 replies 2.7K views
2»

Replies

  • agrinnallagrinnall
    23.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    michaels wrote: »
    Not at all, it is an administrative issue.


    That makes no sense at all, administration is your company's issue, not your customers'.
  • michaelsmichaels Forumite
    25.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    agrinnall wrote: »
    That makes no sense at all, administration is your company's issue, not your customers'.

    I wrote a longer reply describing the the situation then decided it probably wasn't appropriate for this forum.
    I think....
  • silvercarsilvercar Forumite, Board Guide
    42.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    michaels wrote: »
    And that has happened in the past on several occasions but it is a matter of knowing where such people would look for a new job. It would be frowned upon if we poached those we came across whilst doing our job.
    It has been said that a lot of jobs aren't advertised at all and recruitment is by word of mouth. Do your existing graduate employees keep in touch with those they studied with and hear about any looking for a new job? Do they spread the word about what a great place yours is to work in?

    Given that I am geographically near you and DS2 has many friends who are recent graduates, some looking for work; feel free to give me be more descriptive of the sort of role you are looking to fill.
    Usually found at a vaccine centre 💉
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
  • michaelsmichaels Forumite
    25.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    silvercar wrote: »
    Given that I am geographically near you and DS2 has many friends who are recent graduates, some looking for work; feel free to give me be more descriptive of the sort of role you are looking to fill.
    Thanks SC, I will send you a pm.


    In general we are looking for people with numerate degrees (includes things like sciences and even economics) to do analytical work. Unless you have a good maths A level (or 2) it is unlikely you would like the work although it is certainly not rocket science, people skills are more important than outright academic/technical ability.


    Do you know where your DS mates are looking for jobs?
    I think....
  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    12.1K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My sons got their jobs from various sources

    One was recommended to a firm by a friend working there. The firm had a problem to solve and the friend recommended my son, although he was still at uni. He solved their problem and was offered freelance work while he was still at uni. He then joined the form full time when he graduated

    He was later head hunted to his current job by a colleague who had moved on to another firm and recommended him..

    The other got his first job by replying to an advert for someone to do some voluntary work for two weeks for a firm. He applied to get some experience and was asked to stay on when the temporary period was finished.

    He then registered with an agency and his current job came through that.

    My DIL has got her jobs through agencies.
  • Owain_MoneysaverOwain_Moneysaver Forumite
    11.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    agrinnall wrote: »
    That makes no sense at all, administration is your company's issue, not your customers'.

    I'm assuming the OP is possibly in a sector where clients require all suppliers' employees to be security vetted or similar?
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • silvercarsilvercar Forumite, Board Guide
    42.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may be caught out by the season.If you advertised anytime after Easter, final year students are more concerned with their final exams than job applications.

    Very organised students will be applying for jobs Sept/ Oct at the start of their final year, this continues until February time (in fact for lesser known companies Sept/ Oct would be too early as the eager beavers will be applying to big names and the rest of the students wouldn't be looking. You may have better luck re-advertising in a months time.

    Does the role you have come with training and promotion opportunities? The main reason DS2 is moving is because he was recruited for a graduate role and has not been provided with any personal development training and promotion opportunities are limited.
    Usually found at a vaccine centre 💉
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
  • michaelsmichaels Forumite
    25.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    silvercar wrote: »
    You may be caught out by the season.If you advertised anytime after Easter, final year students are more concerned with their final exams than job applications.

    Very organised students will be applying for jobs Sept/ Oct at the start of their final year, this continues until February time (in fact for lesser known companies Sept/ Oct would be too early as the eager beavers will be applying to big names and the rest of the students wouldn't be looking. You may have better luck re-advertising in a months time.

    Does the role you have come with training and promotion opportunities? The main reason DS2 is moving is because he was recruited for a graduate role and has not been provided with any personal development training and promotion opportunities are limited.

    There is structured training and as much responsibility and promotion chances as you want right up to one grad employee now bei g a director. There is also a big mix of opportunities with some big desirable employers who are not as ethical as we are when it comes to not poaching our staff although many who have left have eventually ended up back with us, not sure what that means.
    I think....
  • silvercarsilvercar Forumite, Board Guide
    42.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    michaels wrote: »
    There is structured training and as much responsibility and promotion chances as you want right up to one grad employee now bei g a director. There is also a big mix of opportunities with some big desirable employers who are not as ethical as we are when it comes to not poaching our staff although many who have left have eventually ended up back with us, not sure what that means.

    So it suggests that its maybe the wrong time of year to be recruiting or your not advertising has in the right places. I assume you've benchmarked the salary/ benefits package?
    Usually found at a vaccine centre 💉
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

PCR tests to end for fully vaccinated

Travellers returning to England in Oct

MSE News

Free Homebuilding & Renovating Show tix

London, Harrogate & Shepton Mallet

MSE Deals