Frozen food recall - Tesco, Aldi, Lidl, Waitrose, Sainsbury, Iceland

Doc_N
Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
https://www.food.gov.uk/news-alerts/alert/fsa-prin-35-2018

From the Food Standards Agency:

ALERT TYPE - FOOD ALERT

Greenyard Frozen UK Ltd recalls various frozen vegetable products due to possible contamination with Listeria monocytogenes

Not a problem, you think - I don't buy Greenyard products. Then you realise they supply pretty much all the supermarkets with own-label products!

Quite a list!

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    It's at times like this I appreciate my lack of freezer space for frozen veg. YS bakery products come first.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Just bought a bag of this Sweetcorn last week....but for 79p i'm not sure I can be bothered to queue for a refund!!!

We always cook ours in the microwave first, never just eat it defrosted and cold (even if we then let it go cold for salad etc.)
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Further advice here, issued by the Food Standards Agency a couple of days before the alert above (and now we know why):

Precautionary advice on cooking frozen vegetables following Europe-wide listeriosis outbreak

The Food Standards Agency, Food Standards Scotland, Public Health England and Health Protection Scotland are reminding people that most frozen vegetables, including sweetcorn, need to be cooked before eating. This includes if adding them to salads, smoothies or dips. (3 July 2018)

People should always follow manufacturers’ instructions when preparing their food. If the product is not labelled as “ready to eat”, the cooking instructions should always be followed before eating the food hot or cold.

Frozen sweetcorn is the likely source of an ongoing outbreak of listeriosis affecting five European countries including the United Kingdom. Listeriosis is a rare but serious foodborne illness caused by the bacterium Listeria monocytogenes that can be more serious for those individuals who have weakened immune systems and also the elderly, pregnant women and infants. The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) and the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) have today provided an update on the multi-country listeriosis outbreak.

https://www.food.gov.uk/news-alerts/news/precautionary-advice-on-cooking-frozen-vegetables-following-europe-wide-listeriosis-outbreak
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Came across this news by accident. Checked just a minute ago - absolutely nothing on the Waitrose website

Just chucked our Essential Sweetcorn / Expiry Aug 2019 in the bin...

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • welshbookworm
    welshbookworm Posts: 2,905 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Tesco only told their customer service telephone people half an hour ago!
    The lady was lovely and sorted out a refund on the phone , as it was a Home Delivery.
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
  • mrkjd
    mrkjd Posts: 83 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Why is a “full refund” alone acceptable? Possibly thousands of people have been sold a life threatening product and there are individual significant costs associated with plodding all the way to the supermarket (and back) to get the refund and then the lid to a different supermarket to source an alternative. Why should all those costs be bourne by the consumer? The supermarkets should take that hit!
  • unrecordings
    Waitrose finally got around to sending out a product alert this afternoon. Pity they got one of the batch dates wrong...

• unrecordings
    ...So I double checked the FSA website, then emailed Waitrose on 9th to point out their mistake. They finally replied last night with "I've looked into this and confirmed the information sent out in our email was correct - the BBE is Aug 18 and not Aug 19"

So I checked the FSA website again then politely pointed out they should check themselves.

I can only assume therefore that Waitrose are still selling the dangerous batches of Sweetcorn that should have been removed from sale 10 days ago

• unrecordings
    edited 16 July 2018 at 11:23AM
    I got a further reply from Waitrose "Yes, I'm sure our email was correct - unfortunately the information displayed on the link you kindly provided wasn't" (which was the original alert from the Food Standards Agency)

I check the FSA website AGAIN and then email the FSA

So who is at fault here, and what's the point of a product recall if no one can be bothered to issue the correct information ? The FSA says it might take 20 days to reply...

• spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    mrkjd wrote: »
    Why is a “full refund” alone acceptable? Possibly thousands of people have been sold a life threatening product and there are individual significant costs associated with plodding all the way to the supermarket (and back) to get the refund and then the lid to a different supermarket to source an alternative. Why should all those costs be bourne by the consumer? The supermarkets should take that hit!

Id just return it on my next shopping visit.

Out of curiousity how much additional should they be refunding?

Is it less if the original receipt has a large amount of items on it?

More if someone bought the goods from a store further away as it was closer to 'next'?

And will the retailers be wanting proof of address? BUt what if they popped in from heir mates around the corner?

Do they refund more for someone driving a range rover compared to a prius? More for a driver over a walker?

If you cant answer all of those questions youll get an answer as to why a full refund alone is acceptable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure