Fault after 2 months - should the dealer repair?

Options
Hi,
I’m hoping someone will be able to help.
I recently bought a 2011 Audi TT from a dealer with 27500 miles on the clock. I’ve had the car 2 months and it’s now on 30000 miles.
A few weeks after buying the car, I noticed that when I accelerated in 5th and 6th gear, the car would rev but would not actually accelerate. This was also in conjunction with a burning smell. At the time, I didn’t think much of it (I’m no mechanic) and continued to drive the vehicle.
Around a week ago, it repeated this behaviour again and I decided it needed further investigation.
I contacted the dealer I bought the vehicle from to explain and it was suggested that I take the car to their branch near my home.
This particular branch advised I needed a new clutch and that I shouldn’t drive the car as it was prone to ‘imminent failure’. I fed this back to the branch I bought the vehicle from – they supplied me with a courtesy car and advised they would need to move my vehicle to a third branch for further inspection.
The car went in on 28/6 and it’s now 5/7. I was advised on 3/7 that my vehicle had been put up on ramps and that the branch had ordered a part for the vehicle.
I called today (5/7) to ask what was going on with my car only to be told they don't know what the problem is!
No one has called me to discuss costs or to ask for authorisation on repairs. From what I have read on my consumer rights, it would be reasonable for me to expect the dealer to repair the vehicle at no cost to myself.
It would also be down to them to prove the fault was not present at the time of purchase.
Please could someone help and advise on where I stand with this?

Comments

• ratrace
    ratrace Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    is it a manual or a dsg
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    MRD1990 wrote: »
    A few weeks after buying the car, I noticed that when I accelerated in 5th and 6th gear, the car would rev but would not actually accelerate. This was also in conjunction with a burning smell. At the time, I didn’t think much of it (I’m no mechanic) and continued to drive the vehicle.
    It's called clutch slip, and is the sign that the clutch is not connecting properly between engine and gearbox. It could be oil contamination (there'll be other symptoms - like drip marks on the ground), it could be a parts failure (least likely), it could be wear due to previous misuse (most likely).

I called today (5/7) to ask what was going on with my car only to be told they don't know what the problem is!
    The only way they're going to know for sure is to remove the gearbox - at which point, it's kinda academic because the labour cost to take it all apart and put it all back together massively outweighs the parts cost.

So it comes down to who pays. Yes, 30k is a low mileage for a clutch to have worn - but far from impossible. If it is wear, then whether they carry any legal liability is a grey area at best, but they may be willing to contribute for goodwill.
  • MRD1990
    MRD1990 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    ‘is it a manual or a dsg’

- it’s a manual. It doesn’t seem to be struggling with the gears.

It only really seems to happen when the engines under max torque.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    It only really seems to happen when the engines under max torque.
    Yep, that's clutch slip.
  • MRD1990
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    It's called clutch slip, and is the sign that the clutch is not connecting properly between engine and gearbox. It could be oil contamination (there'll be other symptoms - like drip marks on the ground), it could be a parts failure (least likely), it could be wear due to previous misuse (most likely).

- I haven’t noticed any drip marks on the ground. It only seems to happen in the two higher gears when the engines under max torque?

The only way they're going to know for sure is to remove the gearbox - at which point, it's kinda academic because the labour cost to take it all apart and put it all back together massively outweighs the parts cost. - they have already dropped the gearbox our without calling me. No one has called to advise costs etc... I’ve not authorised any work :(

So it comes down to who pays. Yes, 30k is a low mileage for a clutch to have worn - but far from impossible. If it is wear, then whether they carry any legal liability is a grey area at best, but they may be willing to contribute for goodwill.
    - would you think a goodwill gesture would be likely? I would argue the fault would have been there when I bought the car :/
  • debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    Options
    Garage could argue that the OP wore the clutch out himself?
  • ratrace
    ratrace Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    Options
    - would you think a goodwill gesture would be likely? I would argue the fault would have been there when I bought the car :/

It really can come down to the type of dealer your dealing with some are very good and like to help out as much as possible, my mate had a golf 2012 dsg after about 6 weeks he had problems with the gearbox not selecting gears, metatronic unit gone pop, got in touch with the dealer and they replaced it at cost no hassle

others not so much "take me to court pal types" getting anything from them even a civilized conversation can be like pulling teeth
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
  • MRD1990
    Options
    I bought it from a Marshall!!!8217;s dealership - the guy I!!!8217;ve been dealing with seems fairly helpful....
    I!!!8217;m just concerned as I!!!8217;m not really being updated and they!!!8217;ve not called to authorise any repairs !!!55357;!!!56899;

When I bought the car I traded in a mini with over 80,000 miles on the clock - still on the original clutch
  • System
    System Posts: 178,095 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sadly when you buy a used car, especially a performance one that's 6/7 years old, there's always the risk the previous owner was a muppet and shafted the clutch.
  • lopsyfa
    lopsyfa Posts: 473 Forumite
    Options
    I bought it from a Marshall!!!8217;s dealership - the guy I!!!8217;ve been dealing with seems fairly helpful....
    I!!!8217;m just concerned as I!!!8217;m not really being updated and they!!!8217;ve not called to authorise any repairs !!!55357;!!!56899;

When I bought the car I traded in a mini with over 80,000 miles on the clock - still on the original clutch

Maybe that is because they want to repair it for you. I don’t think they will expect you to pay if you didn’t authorise it before the repair. Instead of worrying too much, i’ll get in touch with the dealer to request update and also ask them to provide regular updates.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure