Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Investment advice for children

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Savings & Investments
3 replies 391 views
Dr_HPDr_HP Forumite
3 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Savings & Investments
Hi, I have £5000 to invest each for 2 children aged 12 and 15. I see this as a long-term investment, but don't necessarily want to add to it. I wonder if anyone can give me any advice about where to put the money. I want an investment vehicle and not a bank or building society account.

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    investment trusts or unit trusts/oeics/sicavs are the things typically used for children.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Dr_HPDr_HP Forumite
    3 Posts
    OK, but are there particular investment trusts for children. If so, how do I find out what is available and then how do I go about selecting one.
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some children targetted funds with gimmicks to match but the whole fund/share options are available to you so there is no reason to limit yourself to children only.

There are thousands of funds/share options available. You can research them using a site like trustnet or morningstar. Obviously, the data they give you free of charge is limited but it should be enough if you understand what you are looking at.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.