Daughter scammed on Gumtree. How does this work?

Options
2»

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    flicks wrote: »
    Hmmm. Interesting. Thanks again for the replies. The address was in fact a flat so I guess that makes sense.

Some real low life around. The only consolation is my daughter is a better person than that piece of dirt will ever be.

Soolin, thanks. Will certainly investigate this and try to find out more. Not sure if I'd go as far as to turn up on the doorstep though, especially if the person who lives there is blissfully unaware of what's actually happened.

Thanks again folks.

Sadly its a common scam and does prey on the honesty of the seller.

I'd one guy contact me via a scam like this so i played him along for a while with item had been posted but my wife had left the tracking number in work, etc, etc. He then got really shirty and started accusing me of wasting his time!! To which i replied that was the whole point as i knew he was a low life scammer.

Next time i get one i might actually post something via recorded delivery to them even if its just an empty envelope or something just so they have to waste their time being available at that address when the postman comes. I can then imagine the outrage in their sad lives as they twig they havent got the better of someone on this occasion.

Police wont be interested for all the reasons already given. Too little reward for a lot of effort on their part.
  • ballisticbrian
    ballisticbrian Posts: 3,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    motorguy, there's several scam the scammers stories going round on t'internet about sending them a cardboard laptop:

2010_nigerian_laptop03.jpg
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    motorguy, there's several scam the scammers stories going round on t'internet about sending them a cardboard laptop:

2010_nigerian_laptop03.jpg

:rotfl:

I might just do that. Would be worth the few pounds postage.
  • flicks
    flicks Posts: 199 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 July 2018 at 4:30PM
    Options
    JessyRM, we certainly wouldn't ever make her feel bad about this. As you say she is already sick as can be.

I have seen the emails now and to be honest if it wasn't for being reasonably aware of these scams I could have easily fell for it myself. Looked very authentic.

The item was an ipad and we said she'll just need to look at it as if she'd dropped and smashed it.

I guess putting it into perspective, people have lost life savings to scammers so as tough a lesson as this was provided she has learned from it some good could come of this.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Does she have the phone's IMEI number by any happy chance? If so, get it blocked - at least then the scammer won't be able to use it.
  • flicks
    flicks Posts: 199 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Brynsam, this was not a phone it was a wifi only ipad. Frustratingly they provide an activation lock which apparently renders the device useless even after a factory reset but this has to be done through "find my iphone". Unfortunately this was deleted when she factory reset the device before sending it away.

Appreciate the suggestion though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport