MSE News:Students may be able to claim £50 TV licence refund

Options
Students across the UK may be entitled to a refund of £50 on their TV licence fee...
Read the full story:
'Students may be able to claim £50 TV licence refund'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• martinlewisjunior
    Options
    Let's be honest. Students don't pay for the license anyways!
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Let's be honest. Students don't pay for the license anyways!

Under one of several different scenarios, they legally don't have to.
  • AdamnSams
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]What an absolute choke the TV Licensing Authority are:-[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]When my son went off to university we shared with him the advice of MSE and told him he would not need a TV license as technically his permanent home address was still the family home. Being quite a quiet lad and fearful of the TV licensing people knocking on his door whilst still adjusting to being away from home for the first time he bought one anyway[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Now having returned home from University this May my son submitted a request for a partial refund of the license fee. He enclosed a copy of a bank statement with his address (the family home - where we have a TV license) This it seems is not acceptable and their restrictive list of acceptable documents not being relevant to a student we were passed from one obstructive staff member to another. Their final position was: "without one of the pieces of evidence on their list they were not willing to submit his request to the refund department.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I am a big fan of the BBC but I too am now of the opinion that it is about time that the TV Licensing Authority was dispensed with.[/FONT]
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Does he not have

Confirmation of attendance at college/university

This must show your term dates at college or university.

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/refunds-and-cancellations/apply-for-a-refund
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The easiest way not to be messed around by TV Licensing over refunds is to state that the reason why you are cancelling your Licence is because you will no longer be watching TV broadcasts or BBC iPlayer at the licensed address.

For most of the possible "real" reasons for cancelling, the above statement will still be true, but has the advantage that they will not ask for evidence, because there won't be any.

These additional steps in seeking refunds are the whim of the BBC, and are not part of the legislation. However, no one has challenged them on it, yet.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    AdamnSams wrote: »
    [FONT=&quot]What an absolute choke the TV Licensing Authority are:-[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]When my son went off to university we shared with him the advice of MSE and told him he would not need a TV license as technically his permanent home address was still the family home. Being quite a quiet lad and fearful of the TV licensing people knocking on his door whilst still adjusting to being away from home for the first time he bought one anyway[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Now having returned home from University this May my son submitted a request for a partial refund of the license fee. He enclosed a copy of a bank statement with his address (the family home - where we have a TV license) This it seems is not acceptable and their restrictive list of acceptable documents not being relevant to a student we were passed from one obstructive staff member to another. Their final position was: "without one of the pieces of evidence on their list they were not willing to submit his request to the refund department.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I am a big fan of the BBC but I too am now of the opinion that it is about time that the TV Licensing Authority was dispensed with.[/FONT]

Why did he send a bank statement ? It's not on the list of acceptable evidence they provide on their website ? They will accept his proof of attendance at Uni though, get him to send that, seems quite clear to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure