Avoid Gmail

Options
2»

Comments

• stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Top story: people you've explicitly given permission to read your emails can read your emails!
  • dogmaryxx
    dogmaryxx Posts: 2,446 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    He's been on ignore for ages for just this sort of thread.

Yet here you are.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That'd be handy, I have about 70,000 unread emails in my gmail account - perhaps they can send me a summary .... or go through deleting all the nonsense marketing ones I'm inundated with.

I open email about 3-4x a month and I search for the names of people/companies who might've sent me something I want/need to read... then I close it.
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    If Gmail didn't read all the messages sent, how would it know which ones to put into the Spam folder?

And whilst we're at it, GCHQ are probably reading them as well!
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nothing in my emails anyone would want to read unfortunately and ive closed all but my gmail email account and thats full of rubbbish.
  • Ant555
    Ant555 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 4 July 2018 at 12:41PM
    Options
    It looks like at least one of the 'third parties' people have been giving permissions to, is an email app.

Edison Mail permissions ask for permissions to do everything with your messages, which if you want to install a third party email app sounds exactly like the kind of thing you would expect.

"Edison accesses and processes email messages in any email accounts you have connected.By linking our Services to your email or other internet accounts, you authorize us to collect, process, and retain information, including personal information, from those accounts."

It seems like its interpretation of some of the terms - 'access your messages' sounds generic and also probably required to get the emails into their app, but can mean a human actually reading your messages.

Many people understand nowadays that free to use is great but the companies have to pay their staff by some means: advertising, paid add-ons etc

Edison do have an opt out in the settings but its in their favour by default.
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That thump was whoever has been reading my emails falling asleep with boredom.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,234 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    donnac2558 wrote: »
    That thump was whoever has been reading my emails falling asleep with boredom.

Are you sure it wasn't the young lady typing with one hand because the other one is "busy"?
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 July 2018 at 4:28PM
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44699263
    Google have been reading your messages for years !

They openly stated they did in order to give targeted adverts from the very start of the service if you bothered to read the terms and conditions when you signed up.

When you install apps on your phone or tablet it'll give you a long list of things it wants permission to do which people don't bother reading.

Article may as well have been titled "User discovers that software does what it told him it was going to do when he clicked Accept".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure