PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Three-year minimum tenancies could be introduced for renters

Options

Comments

• Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    buglawton wrote: »
    Big assumptions there. The council estates here in Berkshire have had a long history of tenant buy outs then changing hands. In my corner of this originally council estate 80% are now privately owned. I'd estimate prices are at about 95% of the private equivalent (better built and larger rooms than any private developments since the 70s). Agreed, some mega-estates are unattractive and have problems. But by no means all council estates do. Don't make assumptions before you tour an area and maybe view.

Berkshire is a bit different from Heywood. The house prices in Berkshire make it difficult for anyone to afford anything. In Heywood there is a lot of choice. There are vast areas of the UK that are not in the South East where ex council properties are really difficult to sell on. People avoid them.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    Berkshire is a bit different from Heywood. The house prices in Berkshire make it difficult for anyone to afford anything. In Heywood there is a lot of choice. There are vast areas of the UK that are not in the South East where ex council properties are really difficult to sell on. People avoid them.
    Exactly. Go by area and locality, not by whether it’s an ex-council property.
  • westernpromise
    westernpromise Posts: 4,833 Forumite
    Options
    There might currently be a premium for offering longer tenancies but if three years becomes standard they are no more or less desirable than optional shorter tenancies.
    But if they were desirable now landlords would offer them, which by and large they do not. It follows that if the law forced them to become standard but a tenant didn't want one, a landlord would probably give them a discount for a one-year - if shorter tenancies are better for landlords.

Hence you end up back at the place where three years costs tenants more. As it should; after all, if it's better, how can it not be worth more?
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,724 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Or more likely the financial burden of an empty house will focus people`s minds on dropping prices to get a buyer. This is what the government want to happen, there are votes in getting more and cheaper properties on to the market, but they are doing it by the back door i.e attacking the BTL/Just rent it out mania that has appeared in recent years.

I still await an explanation of what you expect me to do.

If I dropped the price of the old house to make it sell, then just who is going to reduce the cost of building materials and labour to reduce the construction cost of the new house I am building proportionately to the drop in the sale price?
  • cloo
    cloo Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    TBH, Dh and I the one time we rented were annoyed we couldn't find anything with less than12 months AST! I think this is a fine offer for purpose-built rental, but it will still want to offer earlier get-out for tenants (as that will hardly matter to big corporate owners), but a pain for private LLs, but at the same time, people do need to be encouraged to see the places they have bought to let as someone's home, not just a cash box for them.
  • westernpromise
    westernpromise Posts: 4,833 Forumite
    Options
    ProDave wrote: »

If I dropped the price of the old house to make it sell, then just who is going to reduce the cost of building materials and labour to reduce the construction cost of the new house I am building proportionately to the drop in the sale price?

He's a crash troll. You can't expect coherence.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree with this post. I only have one property. My last tenant was there for over two years, with a rolling contract after his initial six months expired. He would have stayed longer if he had managed to avoid being detained at Her Majesty's Pleasure. He was a good tenant inasmuch as he paid the rent on time and kept the place clean and tidy and could have stayed as long as he wished.

The property is now vacant (from today) and the new tenant will have an initial six month's contract. And why not? For all I know they may wreck the place or expect me to sub them for six months. If they are unsuitable, I want to be able to evict them when their six months finishes. If they turn out OK, then they can have a rolling contract and can stay as long as they wish.

If this becomes law, I shan't get another tenant when the next one leaves. I shall sell up. I'm sure a lot of small landlords will. And that will be a lot of rental properties out of circulation.

Yeah, I'm not sure forced 3 year tenancies are helpful. I'd rather see fault evictions become more normal, rather than the S21 "no fault" route being used because it's too hard to evict someone under S8, and then make the "no fault" evictions have a (much) longer notice period and more advantageous terms for the tenant (like reduced rent/reduced notice to leave on their timescale). I wonder how landlords/tenants would feel about that?
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    I am a landlord, two properties, from my perspective tenants staying long term is great, no periods without rent, no setting up costs with the letting agency. Why do people think landlords want to keep turfing people out after 6 months? I have a brand new tenant in one property, she is in her first month, previous tenant was there for 7 years. My other property has had the same tenant for 2 years, she is settled there with her children at local schools. I assume she will be there long term.

I keep my properties nice, last year I spent more on the one house than I got in rent as after 7 years it was time for a spruce up so new central heating, redecorated throughout, new carpet and it wasn't cheap stuff.

I'm fed up of all the red tape, fed up of being a villain for providing homes for people so I am thinking of selling up next year, I feel bad for the tenant with children but feel I am being driven to do it. She is a single parent and couldn't afford to buy the house, I would offer her a discount if she could raise anywhere near the realistic price of the house so another family homeless for the council to deal with. I haven't increased her rent since she moved in so a very reasonable rent for the area so it will definitely cost the local council tax payers money but I've had just about enough of the hassle.
  • tom9980
    tom9980 Posts: 1,990 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not sure forced 3 year tenancies are helpful. I'd rather see fault evictions become more normal, rather than the S21 "no fault" route being used because it's too hard to evict someone under S8, and then make the "no fault" evictions have a (much) longer notice period and more advantageous terms for the tenant (like reduced rent/reduced notice to leave on their timescale). I wonder how landlords/tenants would feel about that?

The problem is if i had evicted my last tenant with s8 rather than s21 they wouldn't have been given a property by the local Housing Association, they would have been deemed intentionally homeless. I would then have been stuck with them for months not being paid any rent at all.

They ultimately would have been left homeless with a young baby, naturally I as their evil Landlord would have been blamed for this and not them for failing to bring their arrears down or listen to me in my attempts to get them to talk to debt charities on at least 3 occasions.

IF the s8 eviction route was quicker (14 days) then i really have no issue with longer 3 year contracts because i can actually get rid of the bad tenants when i need to. This is why this proposal is bad it offers good Landlords nothing but more risk, in turn it will hurt all the good Tenants with less supply and maybe higher rents. This proposal is designed to BUY votes just as Labours ideas on housing are, they do not in my opinion fix or alleviate our housing problems long term at all.
    When using the housing forum please use the sticky threads for valuable information.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    ProDave wrote: »

What does the market value of the property you are trying to sell have to do with cost of buying your building materials. It's no different to those people who won't accept that their house isn't selling because they need to achieve a price of £X in order to be able to afford the next house. The house being sold is only worth what someone else is prepared to pay for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure