Forum Home» Credit Cards

american express business gold card

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

american express business gold card

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Credit Cards
7 replies 3.2K views
kkhimji2001kkhimji2001 Forumite
86 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Credit Cards
I recently received this credit card:

Gold Business Card by American Express®
Earn 20,000 bonus Membership Rewards® points if you are approved and spend £3,000 in the first three months of Cardmembership.

I plan to buy a new oled tv over £3,000 and also got quidco cashback on this card so thought its a good time to get this card for the points as I am making a major purchase.

Question:

Am I allowed to buy large items for personal use on this credit card as I had to register my business name to get the card. However I plan to pay off the balance from my personal account and have no business expenses on this card (that is on another card - my business bank account debit card).

I am purely using this card for the points and favourable rate. Let me know if this is fine

Replies

• jonesMUFCforeverjonesMUFCforever Forumite
    28.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With it being a business card does it offer S75 protection?
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
  • ChinoChino Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Am I allowed to buy large items for personal use on this credit card as I had to register my business name to get the card.
    Not according to the American Express Gold Business Charge Card Agreement:

"Using the card
    You may use the card for purchases up to any applicable spending limit.
    If you are a business customer, then you or any supplementary cardmembers may only use the card (including cards used by supplementary cardmembers) for transactions made for the purposes of your business. You and supplementary cardmembers must not use the card for personal transactions."
    https://www.americanexpress.com/content/dam/amex/uk/legal/business/the-american-express-gold-business-charge-card-terms-and-conditions.pdf
  • awedsaweds Forumite
    1 posts
    kkhimji2001 - please can you inbox me / message me about an older post (Wimbledon) thanks,
  • madvickermadvicker Forumite
    156 posts
    First Anniversary
    jonesMUFCforever - Yes business credit cards also come with S75 protection - corporate cards do not though. Also, the Gold Business card is a charge card so it doesn't come with Section 75 - same applies to the personal version.

OP - Technically speaking you shouldn't. But doesn't mean you can't. Just be prepared to answer some questions from Amex if they decide to investigate.
  • I am just buying a tv and not paying it from my business account but only my personal current account so its not affiliated with my business account at all
  • NasqueronNasqueron Forumite
    7.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am just buying a tv and not paying it from my business account but only my personal current account so its not affiliated with my business account at all

So re-read post #3 which covers this
    the concept of a United States of Europe is right.” Winston Churchill 1930
    I think that the Government are right to apply to join the European Economic Community...” -Winston Churchill 1961
    “The future of Europe if Britain were to be excluded is black indeed.”[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] - Winston Churchill 1963
    [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
  • michaelsmichaels Forumite
    25.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why didn't you just apply for the personal gold card (same points offer) if you wanted a card for personal spending?
    I think....