Help! EPC electric heaters?

Options
Hi

My tenants are leaving and the heating system needs replacing (storage heaters). I understand economy
7 may cease to exist soon so new storage heaters don’t seem like a good idea. But if I get electric heaters I’m not sure I will get the EPC rating I need. Can anyone recommend any really good electric heaters or an alternative? Very confused. Would appreciate any advice

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I understand economy
    7 may cease to exist soon so new storage heaters don’t seem like a good idea.

Do share, I personally think it more likely that everyone will be moved to E7 and domestic gas will be phased out.

In the long term yes electric metering will be moved to time of use tarrifs which will mean needing an internet connected controller so it knows when to store best when things are cheap (and switch of if price increses), but your new storage heaters are going to be scrap by then.
  • Landladysutton
    Options
    Thanks!
    I’ve seen the end of economy 7 mentioned on a few websites eg “The final point comes back to why Economy 7 was introduced – these big old power stations that can’t be turned off at night. Why is this relevant? Well, all but one of our existing nuclear power plants are due to close before 2025” (from an infra red heater suppliers website)

Do you think this is a lie so people will switch over from storage heaters?
  • ian103
    ian103 Posts: 883 Forumite
    Options
    Ive read the same stuff, it makes sense in a way, however I suspect the E7 tarriff will remain in some form, what I personnally think will happen will be the pence / kw hour rate will increase and the econmy of storage heaters then maybe questionable.

The other issue you will have is the old fashioned storage heaters that you are thinking of replacing have stopped being manufactured, they have been replaced by LOT20 heaters, these Im guessing will improve the EPC. Note you wll need another live feed on day tariff to each heater.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't dream of getting rid of my or my rental property storage heaters. I know they are no longer dirt cheap to run. However they rarely go wrong, are easy to fix when they do, and of course don't require a gas certificate. (This is particularly relevant to rentals, as lack of one can mean you can't evict tenant.)
  • Jonesya
    Jonesya Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If anything the direction is the opposite way - the true cost of electricity is actually very variable and spiky, particularly high during peak periods and winter evenings.

Smart metering allows these Economy 7 and time of use tariffs, so if anything they are likely to grow.

They're vital for things like electric vehicles where you need variable pricing to encourage people to charge during off-peak periods, like over-night. early afternoon etc, so they avoid the peak periods.
  • FullForce
    FullForce Posts: 177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi

My tenants are leaving and the heating system needs replacing (storage heaters). I understand economy
    7 may cease to exist soon
    so new storage heaters don!!!8217;t seem like a good idea. But if I get electric heaters I!!!8217;m not sure I will get the EPC rating I need. Can anyone recommend any really good electric heaters or an alternative? Very confused. Would appreciate any advice

Where do you understand that from? :huh:

As the whole basis of this thread appears to be based on a false premise, theres is little point in cointinuing with this thread until we all understand the source of your information.
  • FullForce
    FullForce Posts: 177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks!
    I’ve seen the end of economy 7 mentioned on a few websites eg “The final point comes back to why Economy 7 was introduced – these big old power stations that can’t be turned off at night. Why is this relevant? Well, all but one of our existing nuclear power plants are due to close before 2025” (from an infra red heater suppliers website)

Do you think this is a lie so people will switch over from storage heaters?

So you got the information from a website that is trying to sell you alternative heaters to night storage heaters? :cool:

I suggest you seek an independent source to subtantiate any sales claims before going ahead with any decision to purchase alternative heaters.
  • ian103
    ian103 Posts: 883 Forumite
    Options
    From the gocompare site - this is suggesting time of use tariff via smart meters will be the longterm option.

https://www.gocompare.com/gas-and-electricity/economy-7/
  • Landladysutton
    Options
    There’s this from gocompare:
    While the long-term trend would seem to point to the phasing out of Economy 7, many of its more positive features could be highlighted by the introduction of smart meters, which are themselves likely to lead to more sophisticated time-of-use tariffs.
  • Landladysutton
    Options
    Do you think it!!!8217;s ok to buy new storage heaters? The old ones no longer work so I need a replacement. What I want to avoid obviously is spending money on new storage heaters and then having to replace them in a year or two because economy 7 has been phased out!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure