Economy Energy

angharad
angharad Posts: 18 Forumite
A query regarding an old friend's gas and electric supplier. I don't know this supplier other than what I've just read here so....this is what she's told me, she doesn't get a bill, she doesn't get meters read, the money she owes is taken straight from her bank account, she says her usage is low. That all sounds a bit iffy, assuming her facts are right.

They now want her to have a Smart meter and she's getting aereated about this, I told her she's not obliged to have one, is this still correct?
Thanks in advance.:D

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,091 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Did she by any chance sign up for paperless billing ? If so all her bills will be online.

Meters don't (generally) get read these days - the days of the meter reader coming every quarter are long ago. The system relies on the consumer reading their meter (correctly) every quarter.

Be with you friend when she rings up so she can authorise them to talk to you.

Correct - she can refuse a Smart meter but in her case may be the best solution - at least her bills will be accurate.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • FullForce
    FullForce Posts: 177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    angharad wrote: »
    A query regarding an old friend's gas and electric supplier. I don't know this supplier other than what I've just read here so....this is what she's told me, she doesn't get a bill, she doesn't get meters read, the money she owes is taken straight from her bank account, she says her usage is low. That all sounds a bit iffy, assuming her facts are right.

That certainly does sound iffy, doesn't it?

You can see this supplier's website here:
    https://www.economyenergy.co.uk/

If your "old friend hasn't had a bill then she does not owe any money.

Your reference to having money taken staright from her bank account sounds as though she has agreed a deirect debit payment system.
    That is only a form of payment, and does not reflect what she owes.
    She can cancel the direct debit instruction at any time by contacting her bank; she should also advise the supplier.
    Note that cancelling a direct debit instruction may put her in breach of a contractual agreement she has agreed with the supplier.
    That would also explain the absence of bills, as with direct debit your "old friend " should receive statements.

According to the supplier's website linked to above, it seems the supplier only offers 2 forms of tariff; a PAYG one for those with PPM meters and Direct Debit for those with credit meters.
    It does say that with Direct Debit, the customer is expected to supply meter readings every 3 months

I suggest you urge your "old friend" in the first instance to discuss all the above matters directly with the supplier.

In the event your "old friend" has not agreed to a direct debit mandate, and money is taken directly from her bank account, your "old friend" should contact her bank immediately.
    angharad wrote: »
    They now want her to have a Smart meter and she's getting aereated about this, I told her she's not obliged to have one, is this still correct?
    Thanks in advance.:D

Print off this MSE article on Smart meters and pass to your "old friend"
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/smart-meters/
  • angharad
    Thank you, I'm still on the case with her. I just came off the phone, having had the same conversation and making your suggested suggestions about her signing up for direct debit and online bills.

She can't remember even how she came to be with EE or what she agreed to. I'm guessing that she might have responded to a cold call from EE at some stage and signed up with them. She thought she was with SWALEC.
    She said she'll phone EE tomorrow to decline the smart meter and ask for paper bills to be sent. I'll check with her.

She has been 'had in' before, responding to cold calls.

It's awfully sad and worrying to see her get so upset and confused about routine day to day living issues. It brings the vulnerability of age, declining faculties and social isolation into sharp relief and thank God none of us knows what's around the corner for us.

It's a cruel tangle and I can only do so much for her, hence this query.

Thank you for your replies.
  • angharad
    edited 1 July 2018 at 1:53PM
    For Robin9 She can't remember how she got to be with EE, I tried to explain paperless billing to her, she's not internet savvy and wouldn't know where to start. It might be that a relation signed her up and she's forgotten but family is overseas and she won't 'bother' them :( Difficult situation! I will suggest that I make the call for her if she will accept that.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,091 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Thank you for the update - I think a phone call to EE is necessary and its best made by her and then handing over to you if that's at all possible.

It may be that there's nothing untoward here once you know what is going on.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • angharad
    I have volunteered - and she has accepted - to make the call for her. She is horribly confused, as am I - regarding the Smart meter 'engineer' who's attending on Thurs p.m, he'd phoned her to make the appointment, there was no letter from EE as my friend had said originally. She 1471'd that call to get his number and his number that she's now phoning is not recognised. Makes ya wonder. Not writing this looking for answers, just as an e.g. of the awful vulnerability of old age.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure