Santander Froze My Account!!!

Options

Comments

• vesperlynd
    Options
    Another truly Ubelievable story !!!

Not sure if that was sarcasm?
    I'd like to think that you wouldn't come here just to say that. We're all just looking for anyone to share their experiences if they'd like. Myself and Mallorca are already up against enough without any negativity. If you've got nothing kind to say... Perhaps just keep scrolling?

If you meant no harm, then please disregard, it's a sensitive and frustrating situation.

Best
  • MarcoM
    MarcoM Posts: 799 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

Did you manage to get your money back?

With UK AML regs you are guylty till proven innocent if you are a normal citizen. Never mind if millions of dirty Russian money are in and out of the country without the government batting an eyelid....
  • vesperlynd
    Options
    MarcoM wrote: »
    Hi,

Did you manage to get your money back?

With UK AML regs you are guylty till proven innocent if you are a normal citizen. Never mind if millions of dirty Russian money are in and out of the country without the government batting an eyelid....

Meant to come back with an update!
    Yes! We were fortunate enough to receive the funds. We also got an additional amount given to us as an apology. We're beyond relieved, but still also in shock. It was a very hard and traumatic few weeks. We agree, you're guilty until proven innocent, they've got to get a better algorithm. Innocent people shouldn't always be affected like this...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    But then they may miss general fraudulent transactions.

It!!!8217;s better for them to be over protective.

Now you know why people always recommend having more than 1 current account
  • My daughter is suffering a similar problem with Santander, but she is in Argentina.

The bank's advice put your card in a UK ATM and it will work again. Not very easy when you are 7,000 miles away!
  • Tiaz.emil
    Options
    Hey did you manage to get the bank unfrozen and did you get access to your funds again and did you get your money back ? if so how long did it take ? How many weeks. The same has happened to me it’s been like 4 weeks now no phone call letter nothing. can you please help me I have no help or advice of this, the only thing I’m told by Santander security team is you will get a phone call. and I’m going through the worst times of my life due to this. Santander still hasn’t called me and have blocked my account completely all because I deposited 8k cash with proof in the bank which was no problem at all then moments later I tried to transfer the 8k to my wife’s account which is LLOYDS. Then they shut me out completely. I went to the branch next day showing proof the guy said wait for 3-4 days for a phone call and it’s been 4 weeks now !! Please can someone help me !! Thanks
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tiaz.emil wrote: »
    I deposited 8k cash with proof in the bank which was no problem at all then moments later I tried to transfer the 8k to my wife’s account which is LLOYDS.
    Depositing £8K in cash and moments later transferring it to another account would raise all AML alarm bells ringing. AML investigations take time and you will get access to your money when they have been completed.

There's nothing you can do now other than wait. Out of interest, what do you mean by saying you deposited the cash with proof? What sort of proof was it? Why, if the money was destined for your wife's account, wasn't it deposited into her account in the first place?
  • Terry_Towelling
    Terry_Towelling Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No one can help you - you just have to wait for the investigation process to be finished.

The bank is not permitted to tell you why they've held onto the cash for investigation but, if everything is 'above board' you should get your money released in due course. Presumably they are trying to verify the source of the cash based on the information you gave them.

You have to admit it sounds a bit odd to deposit such a large amount of cash into your account and to then 'moments later' transfer it all to your wife's account. Because it was cash, why didn't you just deposit it into her Lloyds account in the first place?

When vesperlynd started this thread last year did anyone else find it interesting that Mallorca1234 (post #4) knew her first name was 'Lola'?
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    When vesperlynd started this thread last year did anyone else find it interesting that Mallorca1234 (post #4) knew her first name was 'Lola'?

Yes, very odd.

Her name being Lola reminded me (only very briefly) of Barry Manilow's Copacabana...

Mallorca only ever posted on that one day. Never to be heard from again....
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 June 2019 at 10:19PM
    Options
    Tiaz.emil wrote: »
    Hey did you manage to get the bank unfrozen and did you get access to your funds again and did you get your money back ? if so how long did it take ? How many weeks. The same has happened to me it’s been like 4 weeks now no phone call letter nothing. can you please help me I have no help or advice of this, the only thing I’m told by Santander security team is you will get a phone call. and I’m going through the worst times of my life due to this. Santander still hasn’t called me and have blocked my account completely all because I deposited 8k cash with proof in the bank which was no problem at all then moments later I tried to transfer the 8k to my wife’s account which is LLOYDS. Then they shut me out completely. I went to the branch next day showing proof the guy said wait for 3-4 days for a phone call and it’s been 4 weeks now !! Please can someone help me !! Thanks

The original poster isnt going to reply since they haven't been back.

You didn't do yourself any favours by withdrawing the funds moments later of depositing it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure