PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying a house in Millbrook, Southampton

Options

Comments

• bibek
    bibek Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    parkrunner wrote: »
    I live about a mile from there and wouldn't live in Millbrook if it was free. Shirley is far nicer and Regents Park (though closer to Millbrook) nicer still.
    I just found out one of my colleague lives in Regents Park. I havent heard many good things about Shirley either. Any views on Totton, Bassett Green, Swaythling and Itchen ?
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bibek wrote: »
    I just found out one of my colleague lives in Regents Park. I havent heard many good things about Shirley either. Any views on Totton, Bassett Green, Swaythling and Itchen ?

Totton is fine, well at least West Totton, lived there for many years. Bassett Green seems to be the luck of the draw, Swaythling just doesn't look very nice and have no idea re Itchen. I've lived in Shirley now for around six years, never a problem, Shirley high street is a bit chavvy but if shopping I go into town.

If you work in the centre of Southampton driving to and from Totton in the rush hour is hell.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • eidand
    eidand Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It's very easy to say, oh avoid Millbrook. Reality is every area has rough parts and nice parts. I've lived in Redbridge area for a long time, it's a great area, lots of green spaces, huge parks, close to motorway, city centre, train centre, god schools, New Forest. Do a bit of research and visit the areas you are interested in, maybe even rent for a few months to see what it's like. Then make a decision. Prices used to be a lot lower but everything started to go up a few years back. You can still get something decent for a good price.
  • Tootling
    Tootling Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    I lived in Maybush in Southampton which was the so16 in the new build estate off romsey road. That estate was quite nice, being full of young aspirational types, but the area behind us and around was a craphole and unfortunately some of those dirtbags cut through to get to Tesco and you could see them walking back with their white lightening or whatever. Or those idiots who came down with their betterware mags and i heard them screaming, effing and blinding at each other. Obviously they didn't get my custom.

But saying that where we were we had no problems. It was a short walk from Shirley highstreet which is really good.

Millbrook had a bad reputation though. I can't say i really knew Soton despite living there for 3 years.

Personally having moved out of the area i kind of miss Southampton. I wouldn't say it's a nice place to live. Some areas are better than others but in my opinion the bad are pretty bad and the nice areas are really expensive.

We lived in a nice spot in a not so great area! The schools are pretty rubbish from my understanding. My neighbours with kids wanted to move due to this. They were happy generally with the house and immediate area just not the schools.

I can't really say where to live in Soton though. Sholing seemed nice. North Baddesley which we lived in (on the nice side) was also nice.
  • bibek
    Options
    divadee wrote: »
    Have you looked at woolsten or regents park. Some parts of Shirley I like but other people don't.

Don't look at lordshill. That is rough.
    I am keeping an eye on Regents Park, nothing I quite fancy on the market atm. Read somewhere as Woolston an area to avoid aswell. Looked at a couple of properties in Shirley which weren't that great.
  • bibek
    edited 29 June 2018 at 7:34PM
    Options
    eidand wrote: »
    It's very easy to say, oh avoid Millbrook. Reality is every area has rough parts and nice parts. I've lived in Redbridge area for a long time, it's a great area, lots of green spaces, huge parks, close to motorway, city centre, train centre, god schools, New Forest. Do a bit of research and visit the areas you are interested in, maybe even rent for a few months to see what it's like. Then make a decision. Prices used to be a lot lower but everything started to go up a few years back. You can still get something decent for a good price.

This is the image of the area on google maps, not 100% sure if it falls under Redbridge or Millbrook. Personally I felt the area was OK. Will go for a walk around the area at different times this weekend and see if I can get a better feel about the area.
  • benson1980
    benson1980 Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Might be best if you find places you like the look of and come back and ask what the area is like. Some parts of the places mentioned above are okay but certain roads are like Beirut. The other thing to consider is when you come to sell it, and places in non-desirable areas are obviously difficult to sell. Buy a reasonable two up two down in a good area and you should have no problems when looking to upsize.
  • parkrunner
    Options
    I am keeping an eye on Regents Park, nothing I quite fancy on the market atm. Read somewhere as Woolston an area to avoid aswell. Looked at a couple of properties in Shirley which weren't that great.

Woolston used to be a place to avoid but has improved quite dramatically in recent times.
  • bibek
    Options
    Ok, so withdrew my offer on Monday for this house in Millbrook and have started looking around Bassett, Regents Park, Highfields, Upper Shirley, Bitterne Park/Bitterne, Itchen and Midanbury.
    I am assuming all of these areas have better reputation than Redbridge/Millbrook however do I need to be careful with certain parts of these areas I have mentioend above?

Thanks.
  • parkrunner
    Options
    Ok, so withdrew my offer on Monday for this house in Millbrook and have started looking around Bassett, Regents Park, Highfields, Upper Shirley, Bitterne Park/Bitterne, Itchen and Midanbury.
    I am assuming all of these areas have better reputation than Redbridge/Millbrook however do I need to be careful with certain parts of these areas I have mentioend above?

Thanks.

Your now getting down to personal taste or ease of journey to where you will be working.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport