Soft searches - do they affect credit?

I have a couple of credit cards, Aqua and Vanquis. I used them to build credit history but now want something a bit less sub prime.

I used money supermarket to see what I was likely to be accepted for, then went away to look into things like customer service and the like. Went back into moneysupermarket and now I'm 9.5/10 likely to get a card that was 10/10 (guaranteed).

Has searching more than once affected my credit chances?

Comments

• jimbo26
    jimbo26 Posts: 954
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Soft searches are not seen by lenders, so of no consequence.

https://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/guides/searches-and-credit-checks.html

I've had a similar experience. Pre-approved, checked an hour later, not eligible, check the next day pre-approved again.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Weird, I've only dropped from 10 to 9.5 so should still be safe to apply.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,631
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    All that will affect whether you get the card is your available credit and income (and whether the lender wants you as a customer).

You do know that the type of card you have is irrelevant except to you? Unless you are getting a card with bonuses like cashback or whatever then changing is much of a muchness, you aren't seen as a better borrower because you have a prime card
  • GlasweJen
    Forumite
    I know that I just get nothing on my current cards and the interest rates are astronomical. I'm looking at the Costco Amex rewards card as I am a Costco cashback member and the card would get me another 1%.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    If the interest rates are too high, then don't look for a card with rewards. It won't offset the interest you're paying, so focus purely on getting a lower APR.

If you're clearing in full each month, then the interest rate doesn't matter and you can look for rewards.
  • GlasweJen
    Forumite
    I don't currently have a balance on the cards as I pay it off monthly but I'd like the option and at 49.9% and 39.9% respectively I'd be stupid to spend on either card if I'm paying over a couple of months.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Then consider two separate cards. One for rewards that you know you can clear, and a lower rate one in case you need to carry a balance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure