Email/attachments encryption

Options
I need to encrypt my emails and attachments. Looked around for a simple program but how do I know they are ok to use they could be anybody iyswim! So looking for recommendations please. When googling this one seems to come up first

https://www.stayprivate.com/pricing.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyo6qnef22wIViz8bCh2J7gHwEAAYASABEgL9R_D_BwE

Comments

• John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Choose! (except anything saying Yahoo or AOL)
    Protonmail would be my choice.
  • lavidaloca
    lavidaloca Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Probably didn't explain my predicament well I am already using Yahoo mail and don't want to change my email address I just need to use something to encrypt the email and attachment. Thanks for reading.
  • kuratowski
    kuratowski Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The problem is you need the recipient of every email to be equally keen on having their emails encrypted. You can't send an encrypted email to someone who hasn't also set up secure email.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The OpenPGP standard which a number of email clients or extensions support (e.g. GPG) will allow you to encrypt email, but that's only half the story. Encryption relies on key exchange, so the recipient must have a private and public key pair and you will need their public key to send them an encrypted email.

Go back some steps from your opening post, are your correspondents asking you to encrypt the emails you send, and if so are they providing public keys to allow you to do this in a way that they can decrypt?
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • lavidaloca
    lavidaloca Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you. I was hoping to use a password known to us both with different passwords for different correspondents.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    lavidaloca wrote: »
    Thank you. I was hoping to use a password known to us both with different passwords for different correspondents.

That's sort-of how PGP (or GnuPG, aka GPG -- the open source version of PGP) works.

Everyone you want to communicate with creates a pair of keys (passwords) -- a private key that no one ever shares with anyone else, and a public key that you can hand out to those you want to be able to decrypt your messages.

If you want to email someone, you encrypt your message with your private key. Anyone with your public key will be able to decode it.

If the recipient wants to reply, he/she can encrypt the message with their private key, and (if you have their public key), you will be able to decrypt it.

https://www.gnupg.org/
  • esuhl
    Options
    lavidaloca wrote: »
    I need to encrypt my emails and attachments. Looked around for a simple program but how do I know they are ok to use they could be anybody iyswim!

PGP has been well-documented and in use since 1991. GnuPG is open-source and has also been around for a long time.

More info here:
    https://theprivacyguide.org/tutorials/pgp.html
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,930 Forumite
    Options
    is this the web based version of Yahoo Mail or are you getting it through a client like Outlook, Thunderbird, etc?

I don't think, though I'm happy to be proved wrong, the PGP encryption referenced above doesn't work directly on Yahoo Mail via the web interface - it would need a browser plug-in to have the same effect.
  • tronator
    tronator Posts: 2,857 Forumite
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »
    If you want to email someone, you encrypt your message with your private key. Anyone with your public key will be able to decode it.

If the recipient wants to reply, he/she can encrypt the message with their private key, and (if you have their public key), you will be able to decrypt it.

You got it the wrong way around. Encryption is done with the recipient's public key and only he can decrypt it with his private key.

It would be bad if "anyone with your publickey will be able to decode it". The public key is the key you give to anyone. That's why it's called "public" :p
  • esuhl
    Options
    tronator wrote: »
    You got it the wrong way around. Encryption is done with the recipient's public key and only he can decrypt it with his private key.

It would be bad if "anyone with your publickey will be able to decode it". The public key is the key you give to anyone. That's why it's called "public" :p

Whoops! :eek: :rotfl:

I think PGP is the way to go because it's so tried-and-trusted. I was developed to be secure, and it (supposedly) what journalists in oppressive regimes, and the likes of Assange and Snowden use.

Clearly it's not's foolproof (as I have demonstrated)! :o

I'm sure it's fine if you know what you're doing. :)
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    is this the web based version of Yahoo Mail or are you getting it through a client like Outlook, Thunderbird, etc?

I don't think, though I'm happy to be proved wrong, the PGP encryption referenced above doesn't work directly on Yahoo Mail via the web interface - it would need a browser plug-in to have the same effect.

Can't you encrypt a file with PGP, and then attach it as normal?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure