Am I covered on my Holiday Insurance?

Options
Hello all!

I'm after a bit of advice or a few ideas on my situation...
I booked a non-refundable room for 2 nights in August at a Premier Inn as somewhere to stay whilst I was attending 2 workshops for professional development (I'm a Pilates instructor). Unfortunately, the lady running these workshops has now rescheduled them to February 2019. As the room is non-refunable I called my insurer, whom I have annual multi-trip insurance with, hoping to put a claim in. The person I spoke to said I wasn't covered for this and that I should pursue a claim with the person running the workshops. But I can't find anything in my policy documentation to suggest that I'm not covered for this sort of event cancellation...

I did try to amend the booking at Premier Inn who were open to the idea, but only if the rescheduling was earlier. I'm not sure what was meant by this phrase so I'm going to try them again tomorrow, as well as my insurer. Unfortunately it wasn't booked via credit card so I can't try to claim on section 75 of the consumer credit agreement and I don't think chargeback will apply to my debit card due to the circumstances...

Has anyone else experienced a similar situation? Is it likely that I have a claim with my insurer or does anyone know of any other avenue I can try? I stand to lose over £170 and it's the first and last time I'll ever book a non-refundable room!:(

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Am I missing something? You were expecting to claim for a BUSINESS stay on HOLIDAY insurance?

Either have a few days break away and use the room or accept that you lost the money. There is nobody to claim from.

For the future go downmarket. Get a Travelodge business account. It caters for things like this because it allows you to cancel up to midday on the day.
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Think the people sorting the workshop should at least know you've lost money due to their cancelling . either use it on the dates or earlier or you may not get it back. good luck
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • Kelly1882
    Options
    Although I was doing it to aid my professional development, the workshops weren't technically a course, anyone could attend. It wouldn't be covered as business. Probably the way I described it made it sound that way. No need to use CAPITAL LETTERS to clarify this for me, unforeseen...;)

I'd already let the organiser know, so she knows the outcome of her apparent date clash.;)

As has been suggested, I'd decided overnight to use the room and pop into London for a tourist weekend.

Thanks for good luck wishes, greenface!
  • redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kelly1882 wrote: »
    it wasn't booked via credit card so I can't try to claim on section 75 of the consumer credit agreement

Wouldn't have qualified for that anyhow, your contract was with the hotel and they had not broken the terms of their contract with you.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure