Something odd with my credit card

Hi all. I have a credit card with Vanquis that I've had for 6 years as of this month. A few years ago I damaged it and decided not to get a replacement card (I am trying to clear debts) and to just cut the card up and continue making the monthly payments.

I've had no communication from Vanquis since but have been paying the minimum monthly payment every month through direct debit. Every month I receive a text message telling me how much is left on the card, how much my available balance is, how much I need to pay and when they will take the payment. Last month my text message said I had £178 left on the balance. I've just received a text message saying this month my balance is zero and I have the full credit limit available, and I know for a fact I have made absolutely no additional payment. Has anyone ever had this before? I don't know whether to keep quiet or ring them to check!

Comments

• Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Can't you log onto your account and see what transactions have gone through recently?
  • Lemmon
    Lemmon Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    If I could I wouldn't be asking on here haha, I haven't used the card for about 5 years, I don't even think I had online banking for my credit card then and obviously don't have the card any more as I cut it up.
  • You'll need to contact them and ask.

Also I'm sure their cards aren't valid for 5 years so they must have sent you a replacement card at some point to replace an expired one
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Give them a call. It's not like you're going to get the debt wiped and you want make sure nothing adverse is being reported.

And increase your payment from the minimum, for heaven's sake.
  • Morley25
    Morley25 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Hi

As far as I am aware Vanquis are doing automatic refunds on the interest accrued on ROP payments from 2003 to date. Apparently customers were not aware that when the product was sold to them (if they were aware at all they had the product) that interest was accrued on this monthly product payment.

Vanquis came under investigation by FCA and have agreed to pay all interest back from 2003 to date, but so far their communication skills have not been great with customers - with some customers receiving credits on their account without receiving any notification from Vanquis.

If your full balance is cleared - I would imagine you may have anything extra coming to you via cheque? I would give them a ring.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Lemmon wrote: »
    If I could I wouldn't be asking on here haha, I haven't used the card for about 5 years, I don't even think I had online banking for my credit card then and obviously don't have the card any more as I cut it up.
    If you have never registered for online banking why are you not receiving statements?
    Sending you a monthly text stating current balance, available credit, minimum payment amount and payment due date is a rather odd way of providing you with statements.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure