Finding out where a 1st class recorded item is?

Options
Not eBay but the postal system & since there's a lot of that with eBay i'm hoping someone here will know the answer...

This is actually just for a letter that was sent. Call me the one doing the sending. It hasn't been signed for. Story short it'll be a legal matter & i suspect the other end will be refusing to sign for it so that there's no evidence they received it.

It was posted off on Friday. That's the last entry in the system on the post office website. How do you find out where it is now? How often does it get re-tried? Will the website just stay at that status forever (simply showing that it was posted by me)?

The other parcel that was sent at the same time via the same 1st class recorded method was received the very next day - Saturday. Not that it's relevant to this case but i'm just saying - this updated straight away. They were posted together & surprise surprise - the one that really needs to be signed for hasn't been.

Comments

• martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It should update on delivery but there is no tracking along the way. Unfortunately the updating of the delivery does not always happen so you never know if it has arrived or is lost somewhere in the system.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not eBay but the postal system & since there's a lot of that with eBay i'm hoping someone here will know the answer...

This is actually just for a letter that was sent. Call me the one doing the sending. It hasn't been signed for. Story short it'll be a legal matter & i suspect the other end will be refusing to sign for it so that there's no evidence they received it.

It was posted off on Friday. That's the last entry in the system on the post office website. How do you find out where it is now? How often does it get re-tried? Will the website just stay at that status forever (simply showing that it was posted by me)?

The other parcel that was sent at the same time via the same 1st class recorded method was received the very next day - Saturday. Not that it's relevant to this case but i'm just saying - this updated straight away. They were posted together & surprise surprise - the one that really needs to be signed for hasn't been.

As above.

As a side note. If this is part of an LBA or similar, the court will only require proof of posting from you.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,865 Forumite
    Options
    As above.

As a side note. If this is part of an LBA or similar, the court will only require proof of posting from you.
    But if sent signed for lack of that signature surely is proof that it has not been received. That is why sending 2 copies with separate proof of posting is considered unarguable.

If sent to a large business quite often signed for is not, it just ends up in their sack.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    LBA?

The problem with 2 copies, both sent 1st class recorded is what if the other end doesn't want to receive them?

Many moons ago i received a letter from my employer and it was sent 1st class recorded. I signed for it because it was in my interest to do so.
    Now if i'd been being hardheaded i could've just said no i'm not signing for that. Had they sent 2 or 200 or 2000 i could've just said i'm not signing any of them.

I don't know how this works in the system but does it get flagged as recipient refused?

Now Special Delivery on the other hand....

Sure they could still refuse it i guess but no postie can sign for that and i wonder if it gets refused then maybe it gets returned & flagged as a reject?

Maybe he should've sent via special delivery.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Options
    LBA means Letter Before Action. If you sent an LBA and have proof of posting, that is sufficient for the Court to accept the LBA was delivered.

Molerat, no a lack of signature doesn't mean non delivery for the purposes of LBA (and similar) delivery.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    LBA?

The problem with 2 copies, both sent 1st class recorded is what if the other end doesn't want to receive them?

Many moons ago i received a letter from my employer and it was sent 1st class recorded. I signed for it because it was in my interest to do so.
    Now if i'd been being hardheaded i could've just said no i'm not signing for that. Had they sent 2 or 200 or 2000 i could've just said i'm not signing any of them.

I don't know how this works in the system but does it get flagged as recipient refused?

Now Special Delivery on the other hand....

Sure they could still refuse it i guess but no postie can sign for that and i wonder if it gets refused then maybe it gets returned & flagged as a reject?

Maybe he should've sent via special delivery.
    SD would be the worst option especially if the recipient is aware that papers are about to be served on him. If it's refused the tracking will show this and it will be returned to the sender after a few days.

As has been said send legally important letters first class with free certificate of posting. Paying more for services requiring signatures is a waste of money and has the possibility of causing complications.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure