PIP or ESA and moving abroad? HELP am overwhelmed with the info

Dear all

First and foremost if this is the wrong section of the site, apologies, I get a lot of brain fog with my condition, so if there are other places to be sign posted to please let me know.

I am currently not receiving any form of financial support and very confused about the PIP/ESA application and what's best if am potentially thinking about moving abroad for longer than 26 weeks and/or setting up a social enterprise.

I can not get through to my CAB and did a quick check on benefits calculator on both turn2us and entitled to websites and it came up with totally different information and it advised me to seek individual advice from going from self employment to UC. I am struggling financially and not entirely sure what would be the best way forward.

I have a rare disease, genetic, with no cure but am self employed and have been since 2015 but though my first year was ok, my tax return for this year gone brings me to well below the national minimum living wage.

When I was originally diagnosed I thought it wasn't a major deal and didn't really realise I would be under the care of 4 different hospitals and have this year developed additional comorbidities that affect my heart etc

I am living with family and my mum has actually lost her 25% discount on council tax. I contribute to bills when I can i.e when I get a client (my expertise is EU so my work has been impacted by Brexit) but this hasn't been the case since February and I have also inured my arm so am not able to use it much. Am seeing occupational therapy too.

Am thinking of setting up a charity/social enterprise to assist in research in my condition, but also appreciate I may have to physically move abroad to access a possible clinical trial as there may not be the right treatment for me here in the UK. Am not entirely sure how that would work.

I have avoided applying for PIP as I looked at the form online, all 54 pages of it, and thought i am not bad enough to apply as am still mobile and don't need support in the way the questions are framed. I don't really know the system as have always worked FT but when initially was sick in pain management team for over 2 years was on JSA and was minsinformed as at that time I probably should have applied for ESA or PIP.

I don't really know what to do as I know I don't have enough NI contributions for pension as I have only worked FT for 14 years and during the last few really been sick on off and not able to work FT. Good and bad days. I also don't want to apply if am not filling in the form correctly and if it means that another EU country won't accept me in to live in the future and would love to hear from other people who have been on PIP or ESA and were able to move to permanently live abroad in another EU country which may be necessary to try and access immunotherapy etc

I don't know if its worth me applying to these schemes if I don't stand a chance at getting help and if when I do work I make more than £125 weekly ESA amount, it means I may not be able to access treatment by moving abroad.....

many thanks for your help

Comments

• I'm no expert on benefits when abroad and the current rules may well change once we leave the EU (or they may not), so you should apply on the basis of your current situation i.e living here. You mention pension I assume state pension does that mean you are of SRP age?
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite

I have avoided applying for PIP as I looked at the form online, all 54 pages of it, and thought i am not bad enough to apply as am still mobile and don't need support in the way the questions are framed. I don't really know the system as have always worked FT but when initially was sick in pain management team for over 2 years was on JSA and was misinformed as at that time I probably should have applied for ESA or PIP.

PIP and ESA are not mutually exclusive. You can get one, both, or neither.

If you believe that you don't qualify for PIP, then no one else here in MSEland can say otherwise. ESA is subject to different criteria, but is a similar points based system.
    I don't really know what to do as I know I don't have enough NI contributions for pension as I have only worked FT for 14 years and during the last few really been sick on off and not able to work FT. Good and bad days.

Get a state pension forecast
    https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension
    I also don't want to apply if am not filling in the form correctly and if it means that another EU country won't accept me in to live in the future and would love to hear from other people who have been on PIP or ESA and were able to move to permanently live abroad in another EU country which may be necessary to try and access immunotherapy etc

Claiming benefits if you live, move or travel abroad
    https://www.gov.uk/claim-benefits-abroad
  • thanks for the replies isn't Universal Credit coming into force on 4 July to not able to apply for Working Tax Credit/ESA anyway? I was told by people with my condition that they applied for PIP back some time ago, but they are also in wheel chairs whilst am still relatively less immobile at present, my issues are more cardiac......i am no where near pensionable age but thought that if one gets the lower rate of LWR ESA then the NI contributions still count towards pension as I have worked for 15 years in this country and some abroad but still don't have enough, i also have dual nationality EU (Irish) so I am potentially less affected by Brexit in terms of rights for residence but still unclear if I was awarded PIP if could in effect move abroad. thaks
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    thanks for the replies isn't Universal Credit coming into force on 4 July to not able to apply for Working Tax Credit/ESA anyway? I was told by people with my condition that they applied for PIP back some time ago, but they are also in wheel chairs whilst am still relatively less immobile at present, my issues are more cardiac......i am no where near pensionable age but thought that if one gets the lower rate of LWR ESA then the NI contributions still count towards pension as I have worked for 15 years in this country and some abroad but still don't have enough, i also have dual nationality EU (Irish) so I am potentially less affected by Brexit in terms of rights for residence but still unclear if I was awarded PIP if could in effect move abroad. thaks
    If you've paid enough NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years then you can claim CB ESA.

Claiming a means tested benefit will depend on your circumstances, do you live with a partner that works.

Pop you postcode into this link to see what's in your area or when your area is changing to UC. http://ucpostcode.entitledto.co.uk/ucdate

All areas are different.

PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it totally depends on how your conditions affect you. You can't compare to people.

For claiming benefits while living abroad you'll need to look at the link in the above post.
  • Hello, you would find it helpful to sign up for the free Government emails on Brexit guidance for the Country you wish it live in, they keep you updated about how those who emigrate will be affected and what they have to do. They are genuinely useful, I’m emigrating to Iceland and found out that if we crash out no deal then we only have 3 months from leaving EU to move to an EU or EFTA (d, Lichenstein, Switzerland) country. With a deal we have as Martin says until Dec 2020, if you are on ESA contributions based they pay your NI for you for as long as you are on it. If you apply for for assistance with task of daily living and mobility, you will only lose,the mobility component if you emigrate. There is no mention of re testing you once you have left, or transfer to PiP . I’m assuming you can only apply to PiP now. It side what the rules are but they will be in these guides, Also Iceland for example asks you prove you have an ongoing income of about £12000oa is you leave after UK afternoon the transition period and wish to apply to stay, see GOV.UK update – Living in Iceland or replace Iceland with the Country you want, good luck.
  • kazzah
    kazzah Posts: 460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I believe you can only receive PIp if you are resident in EU EEA or Switzerland and only at the Daily Living rate :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure