PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

pregnant, ill & just been served eviction notice

Options

Comments

• Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    The claim form itself says the case is with a court in London, local to me. Then, on the defence form, where they should have entered the name of the court, they have instead entered the first name and surname of some man I have never heard of (definitely not the name of the landlord.)
    Is it possible that is deliberate in the hope you will struggle to file your defence?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Writing to the landlord (or their solicitors) about the dates is pointless.

It is nothing to do with them.
    the Issue Date stamped on the court paperwork is 11th June. But the postmark on the envelope it came in is 22nd June,
    It is the court that sent the paperwork and it is the court which decdes whether a defence submission is in time or out of time, and it is to the court that you direct any complaint.

Similarly the defence submission goes back to the court.

The claim may be filed at one court ut the hearing is generally heard at the defendant's local court. But speak to the court officials if it is unclear where the defence should be sent.

They can answer queries about procedure (but NOT about law).
  • Fair&Pure
    Fair&Pure Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    G_M wrote: »

It is the court that sent the paperwork and it is the court which decdes whether a defence submission is in time or out of time, and it is to the court that you direct any complaint.

The claim may be filed at one court ut the hearing is generally heard at the defendant's local court. But speak to the court officials if it is unclear where the defence should be sent.

OK, the court listed on SOME of the paperwork would indeed be my local court. That's who I've been calling and they don't answer the phone. I guess what I will do is send the defence form to them. I'll also call the court who actually sent out the paperwork, I guess. Maybe they will even answer the phone.
  • Fair&Pure
    Options
    Is it possible that is deliberate in the hope you will struggle to file your defence?

The paperwork is certainly in a shambolic state. And as for the Landlord claiming they personally handed me a hard copy of a "How To Rent" booklet, some three months before they'd ever heard of me or met me etc, is interesting.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 25 June 2018 at 8:46PM
    Options
    Op I assume this is not an 'accelerated procedure' case, i.e. started with court form N5B. If so the timing for serving the defence is more critical than in a standard procedure possession case.
    Fair&Pure wrote: »
    Nowhere in the court papers does it mention that I must serve the Defence on the landlord's solicitors. Considering how important this is --- losing your home! -- it's incredible how vague and shambolic it all s.

Yes, in some respects the county court system in great but in other respects it is a complete shambles.
    G_M wrote: »

If the Defence was not filed on time, it is the landlord that would drive the process forward - the court doesn't do it automatically. It is also the landdlord's solicitors that would seek sanctions/consequences for failure to serve on time.

Similarly the court does not by itself assess whether the defence is received on time or not. The courts don't keep a record of the deemed date of service, only the issue date (which in this case was some time ago).

When you get to the hearing half the time the court will have misplaced a copy of the defence and ask for one from the parties anyway.

The reason why the Op should contact the landlord's solicitor now in writing is that it would provide ammunition if the landlord seeks to allege that the defence was not filed in time. If the Op can clearly show that she contacted the landlord's solicitor to explain that she only just received the form, then if the landlord's solicitor fails to object to the timescales now it will be looked on badly if they try to make a big deal out of it later.

This is a good idea but the problem is that you don't always get a correct or helpful response from court staff, and as it is verbal you can't prove/rely on it at a hearing if you get told something wrong. Important to get a written record of these things where possible.
  • Fair&Pure
    Options
    Op I assume this is not an 'accelerated procedure' case, i.e. started with court form N5B. If so the timing for serving the defence is more critical than in a standard procedure possession case.

The paperwork states that it is an Accelerated Procedure. So, it would seem I'm best off assuming date of service is considered 2 working days after the Issue Date? And making sure I get my Defence Form in by then. Which gives me about one to two days I think. And presumably I sent the Defence to both courts.

Gosh!
  • Fair&Pure
    Options
    I will also write to the Landlord's solicitors. Nothing to lose in doing that really, right?
  • tlc678910
    tlc678910 Posts: 982 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi OP,
    Just a suggestion that you can check the EPC register by property address at
    https://www.epcregister.com/reportSearchAddressTerms.html?redirect=reportSearchAddressByPostcode (need to accept the terms and then search by postcode).
    On the off chance that the property does not have an EPC then it would be clear that the landlord could not have given you a copy and are lying about it.
    Tlc
  • Fair&Pure
    Options
    Tried ringing both courts this morning. Let the phone ring for 30 minutes+ at each court. Nobody picks up. I can't believe how unprofessional this all seems.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Keep notes of everything you've done to resolve this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure