MSE News: Tesco to scrap its Brand Guarantee scheme

2»

Comments

• eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,292
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I've always found this scheme useless for the 'cost-conscious' customer who always buy whichever brands are on 'special offer' (as well as own brands).

It only seems to kick-in for 'brand-conscious' customers, who just buy their favourite brands, without worrying too much about the shelf-edge price.

So I guess it seems strange to then give a price reduction at the checkout to 'brand-conscious' customers who are not very worried about price.

(Although, I know there are 'super-shoppers' who cross-check for special offers at other supermarkets first, and separate their Tesco shopping into different baskets to maximise savings etc - I guess they will lose out.)
  • Thats me - The SUPER SHOPPER - I used to seperate my shopping trolleys to maximise my discount (1 trolley load with loads of cashback, other trolley full of Tesco offers) and I thought I was the only one that did this - Even Tesco checkout operators didn't twig what I was doing "Shopping for someone else?", Me "Sort of:o)"
    eddddy wrote: »
    Although, I know there are 'super-shoppers' who cross-check for special offers at other supermarkets first, and separate their Tesco shopping into different baskets to maximise savings etc - I guess they will lose out.)
    If I ruled the world.......
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,631
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 1 July 2018 at 2:23AM
    It's reaching the stage where the only good thing about them is the car park & not needing a coin for the trolley. Clubcard points that get you nothing worthwhile anymore. Kenco reduced occasionally to £4 so with points 3p cheaper than Home Bargains £3.99. I am rapidly reaching the stage where I really CBA with them.

I've shopped with Tesco for 10 years when I lived down south & for 27 years since I moved back to the north west. I am already buying less & less but with the recent changes I seriously wonder why I do buy any. Probably just a habit which they are relying on.

Then lets just chuck into the mix the fact that they are removing best before dates which means that with their abyssmal stock rotation the normal person has no idea how long a product has been on the shelf. Are they actually intending to commit Hara-kiri?
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,124
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 1 July 2018 at 6:49AM
    I kind of get it; I've had shops of several bags of items and only saved pennies; the issue us that some items may be lower and others may be higher in price, so they average out.

If you really are a cost-conscious shopper then you'll pick items from multiple supermarkets.

As far as Tesco in general goes, I'm pretty sure I've reduced my total spend there; I find a lot of things are not competitively priced and can't do a weekly shop, due to the short life of fresh items.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Does the 7 out 8 transactions that don't benefit from this BG include the small transactions 9 or less items?

One of the Tesco stores near me is opposite a FE college where students buy a couple of items for lunch
  • welshbookworm
    welshbookworm Posts: 2,905
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I do a Tesco home delivery once every 3 weeks and my Brand Guarantee is usually less than 5p (if I get one at all!).
    If it goes it won't change my shopping habits, my shopping is already done to the best prices I can get,
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
  • ChrisK....._3
    ChrisK....._3 Posts: 920 Forumite
    The reason you haven't benefited is that you haven't separated your shop from one trolley containing £8 "Price match Refund" and other containing £8 Tesco discount produces "we were £8 cheaper on your shop"
    Chuck those in the same trolley and that's how you have been earning a big fat £0
    I do a Tesco home delivery once every 3 weeks and my Brand Guarantee is usually less than 5p (if I get one at all!).
    If it goes it won't change my shopping habits, my shopping is already done to the best prices I can get,
    prowla wrote: »
    I kind of get it; I've had shops of several bags of items and only saved pennies; the issue us that some items may be lower and others may be higher in price, so they average out.

If you really are a cost-conscious shopper then you'll pick items from multiple supermarkets.
  • martinbuckley
    martinbuckley Posts: 1,713
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    prowla wrote: »

Most people don't have the time available to spend hours going round multiple supermarkets in order to save a couple of quid.
  • ChrisK....._3
    ChrisK....._3 Posts: 920 Forumite
    Which was the whole philosophy behind the Tesco price match but it's gone now
    Most people don't have the time available to spend hours going round multiple supermarkets in order to save a couple of quid.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport