PayPal credit...

Options
My credit file has been improving a lot over last 2 years.....Now have no CCJ, just waiting for some paid defaults to fall off....1 in September and last 1 in January.

However, PayPal credit just gave me a 1k credit line and 0% finance on purchases over 150 pounds for 4 months each time.

Sounds a winner to me ?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's not the greatest of deals, but if it will help your cashflow and is the best you can get, then it would be worth taking up.
  • dazzaofdagenham
    Options
    I’ve taken it up....

I mean 0% on purchases for 4 months for 150 pounds and above is good isn’t it ?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's not particularly good compared to what else is on the market, but as I say, it very much depends on your needs and circumstances.
  • T-G-C
    T-G-C Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 25 June 2018 at 1:08PM
    Options
    As ZX81 had said, it is not an offer to brag to Billy about from the local boozer, but as far as sub-prime level goes, it's not a terrible offer, especially since the 0% is recurring rather than having a set expiration.

Please bear in mind that PayPal can and probably will pull the plug on the 0% offer one day. They only launched in recent years, so this is a more of a Hook & Bait incentive.

As credit products are a newer sector for PayPal, they might even expand their options in the future to a plastic card and allow for cash advances, since their whole system is built on exchanging money.

I am quite annoyed that you were accepted with defaults, as I have been declined for this product twice, with no such history. Although the cliche about "numerous factors taken into consideration" comes into play too.
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
  • cjv
    cjv Posts: 513 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Newshound!
    Options
    I like my PayPal credit account so far, all the time it has the 4 months 0% on anything over £150 I will hang on to it for flexibility.

I also used it to buy a new phone a while ago. Samsung were offering interest free over 24 months when paying with PayPal credit, so I grabbed the phone I wanted and a sim only deal to save a little money and not be tied in to a lengthy contract. Other merchants also offer interest free purchases with PayPal credit.

It is not for everyone, but it has it's benefits.
  • dazzaofdagenham
    dazzaofdagenham Posts: 1,512 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can only go by what I’m provided with.

But 0% for 4 months is good for anybody I would think.
    If they decide to withdraw this facility then I’ll simply not use it
  • Samsung_Note2
    Options
    Just beware that whilst its a virtual credit..it doesn't offer the protection a standard card would.

No section 75..your only protected for the first 60 days as you are with paypal and ebay...the fact its credit makes no odds.

The 0% interest is good,used mine several times now...just watch out if you need to claim,as said its exactly same rules that apply to standard payment with paypal or ebay...no protection after 60 days.
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Will you be able to pay it off in four months. What!!!8217;s the rate if you don!!!8217;t pay it off.

What!!!8217;s the rate if you purchase under £150. It!!!8217;s not very flexible I think
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    cjv wrote: »
    I like my PayPal credit account so far, all the time it has the 4 months 0% on anything over £150 I will hang on to it for flexibility.

I also used it to buy a new phone a while ago. Samsung were offering interest free over 24 months when paying with PayPal credit, so I grabbed the phone I wanted and a sim only deal to save a little money and not be tied in to a lengthy contract. Other merchants also offer interest free purchases with PayPal credit.

It is not for everyone, but it has it's benefits.

like say 24 months?
  • Samsung_Note2
    Options
    Sncjw wrote: »
    Will you be able to pay it off in four months. What!!!8217;s the rate if you don!!!8217;t pay it off.

What!!!8217;s the rate if you purchase under £150. It!!!8217;s not very flexible I think

Without checking pretty sure its 17.9%.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport