We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Shower screen!!! Aaargh!

Hoping someone has a miracle method to clean a glass shower screen, I've tried everything but the stubborn water marks just won't go! :mad:
I have tried more natural methods such as vinegar, lemon. Then attempted bleach and bicarb. Even bought some viakal but nothing seems to work. We do live in a very hard water area and it does have some hammer as there are 5 of us in the house with just the one bathroom,
Help please...
«1

Comments

  • I also live in a hard water area and the only thing I have found to work is:
    Scrub with flash bathroom cleaner. Rinse off. Spray with windolene, scrub again rinse off and then use a karcher window vac to remove all the water. I have to use the window vac every time I use the shower as as soon as there is water left to dry it gets the marks again. My parents bought a rubber squeegee to keep in their shower to do the same thing. I found with the water so hard here prevention rather than cure is the only thing that works.
  • I use the cream cleaner for emporium W8RS. Does ours!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I'm always amazed at how useful WD40 is. I think it may well be the answer to your problem, and possibly prevent a further build up.

    Try it on a small area and let us know how you get on?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

    "No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

    Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,449 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I live in a soft water area, but the shower screen drives me mad. It is curved so unable to use Karcher, and as for the tracks! Nightmare. I keep hoping Lakeland will produce a long-handled thin brush.

    Best efforts so far are with good old Star Drops.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

    Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

    (Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Need2bthrifty
    Need2bthrifty Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    pollypenny wrote: »
    I live in a soft water area, but the shower screen drives me mad. It is curved so unable to use Karcher,

    I have a curved screened corner shower cubicle and use a squidgy - top to bottom on the straight side panel's and side to side on the curved bits.....simples :cool:
    2026 Grocery Spends
    Oct = £5.15
    Sept £101.58, Aug £66.17, July £110.59, June £92.28, May £71.67, Apr £119.44, Mar £ 104.90, Feb £90.58, Jan £74.05
  • System
    System Posts: 178,487 Community Admin
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Black harpic toilet cleaner applied on a cloth. Leave for 15 minutes and then wash off.
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,692 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    Any strong acid should do the job. I use descaler liquid for coffee makers and kettle.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    I have a glass shower screen but don't spend much time looking through it while i'm showering so a few marks are not much of a worry
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Brillo pads. Brilliant. Test a small area first. Works great for me anyway. Simple and easy job. Same for ceramic hob, unreal!
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,990 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Baby oil wiped on after cleaning masks any streaks and helps reduce build up
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.