PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2018 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• stoopy
    stoopy Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We just went to the cinema and I made my own popcorn and took it with us!
    Grocery Challenge Jul £380.75 Aug £637 Sep £539.82 Oct £53.43 / £475
    EF 3-6 challenge #104 £739.25/£10000
    MFW2018 #183 0/£2000
  • savvyshe
    savvyshe Posts: 96 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi cant remember who commented on how low my monthly budget I am aiming for £170 but this is what I do:
    . Actually there are 4 adults and 1 teenager living here at the moment. My daughter and son live us but she does buy some food but mostly we feed my grandson as he mostly eats with us. My daughter is veggie so we have more veggie meals. But we eat a lot of chicken and which I get in large packs and freeze in batches from Bookers. {my daughter in law has a card}.
    I also shop from my freezer and cupboard. ie: Buy loads of YS items fish cheese meat veg fruit and freeze from MrM Bookers Aldi and anywhere else then get them out as i need them before going shopping.
    My daughter has a card for the company shop which sells near to sell by stuff. I freeze and shop from there too. I do a weekly shop for veg and toiletries fruit and veg. Tinned stuff i get from Lidl once a month. {baked beans are just like Heinz}. I always meal plan and we have large portions of seasonal or frozen veg I am following slimming world so aim for 1 third of veg on plate at each meal
    We do eat healthily and don't eat a lot of processed food, crisps or rubbish and I nearly always cook from scratch and I do bake occasionally. We also don't drink a lot of alcohol. Some months will be more but I can't fit anything more in my freezers at the moment so I aim to make some room for more chicken soon. Hope this helps.
    M&S 2,200.00
    Barclaycard £3840.00
  • mmharko
    mmharko Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    morning, I'd love to join please :)
    my budget for the month (29th June - 27th July) will be £350

that's for two adults and three littles ones (8,5 & 3), just food. I'm sure I can get it down but that's a start. Summer holidays start in a week so will have to make sure I have plenty of baking stuff in so I'm buying snacks all the time. Will need to have plenty of fruit in too. Freezer is so full I couldn't squeeze anything else in there, now I need to start meal planning and using it all up! Good luck to everyone!
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can I join again please? My DH has lost his job and we seriously need to cut back. Last month we ate out of the freezer a lot (or so we thought) and still spent £400:eek:

My budget runs from 29th June up to and including 30th July. This is for all food for 2 adults and an 8 year old and an old dog and also includes toiletries, cleaning and laundry and booze. I am also coeliac and follow a GF diet.

I am aiming to spend no more than £50 every Friday so please can you put me down for £250.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • FoxFace
    FoxFace Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Okay so I'm officially starting July today, went and got my week's budget out in cash as per usual. Technically a NSD for July as the only thing I bought was our Saturday chippy dinner, but that comes out of the remainder of last week's budget (it's an incentive to get through the week on budget and also a nice little treat for being so good ;))

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend :)
    Fox
    x
    Debt Free Journey started 21.05.2017
  • stoopy
    stoopy Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    To prepare for my first month been looking at my Spendlytics and eyeballing my last receipt.

In June I went to the supermarket 22 times! Far too much. Of course some of it might be DH as we have a joint account.

So my plan is to do a main shop on Friday and top up on Monday and try to stick to this. I am doing my meal plan for July. I have several things in the freezer I can use up.

My last shop at Aldi was for meals for 2 days and came to £33, and that doesn't include meat, potatoes or veg for Sunday lunch.

Having a quick glance through there were a few things I didn't really need. Clotted cream?! But the reason I got this was the local church were doing a strawberry tea this weekend and I thought we could all go, but then realised we'd spend about £14 whereas I could get all the stuff for Aldi for less. I also got cooked chicken chunks for lunch tomorrow whereas I could get in the habit of popping some breasts in the oven when I'm cooking.

Also we were out of 3 types of cereal and today we were having homemade pizza so got a couple of packs of cooked meat for the toppings. I also got a ready made salad to go with the pizza which would have been much cheaper to do myself.
    Grocery Challenge Jul £380.75 Aug £637 Sep £539.82 Oct £53.43 / £475
    EF 3-6 challenge #104 £739.25/£10000
    MFW2018 #183 0/£2000
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    My spend is yearly but it averages at £270 for each month. However, i am doing very well at the moment and would have probably been able to drop iT to £200, but i am going to reduce it by £10 a month for every month i come under.

So this month i am aiming for £230
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I now have £115 of my £200 budget left after spending £28 this weekend on an Aldi shop and some YS stuff from Tesco.
    This will give me £35-40 for each remaining weekly shop this month so should be fine.
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Welcome back returners and Happy to see you newbies, I too have a greyhound Moguline,

Freezer stocked to the gills still as living on salad and cold meats, so hoping for a low month, need to restock my dog food this month so that may bring my total up.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • Hopeless_Case
    Hopeless_Case Posts: 949 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Slightly expensive start to the month as OH has been at home recovering from having stents fitted so didn't seem the time to be too penny pinching (and he came to the supermarket with me :rotfl:), but hopefully it'll even out over the month!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure