PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2018 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Highland_Fling
    Options
    hi everyone
    please can GC for HIghland Fling be £180 this month.
    thankyou
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Our budget is going to be £155 for July 1st to 31st, that is for 2 peoples food and non alcoholic drinks.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • stoopy
    stoopy Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think as I want to do a major slash, I am going to aim for £475

That is for 2 adults, 2 children, 1 baby, 2 cats, for everything.
    Grocery Challenge Jul £380.75 Aug £637 Sep £539.82 Oct £53.43 / £475
    EF 3-6 challenge #104 £739.25/£10000
    MFW2018 #183 0/£2000
  • Mrs_Cheshire
    Mrs_Cheshire Posts: 1,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    stoopy wrote: »
    I would like to join this thread. I'm just giving my finances a massive overhaul as we are about to buy a house which every penny of our savings will go towards deposit and costs. Normally we use our savings as a buffer but we won't be able to from now on!

I have looked at the last 6 months grocery spending and we spend average £575 on groceries, this is for 2 adults, 2 children and a baby, 2 cats and includes all groceries, cleaning stuff, cat food, nappies, the odd tin of baby milk for childminder.

I am hoping to do a big slash initially but not sure what to aim for, what do similar sized families spend?

Hoping to get middle child out of night time pull-ups this summer so that will help too.

We're a family of 5, 2 adults, 3 kids aged 9, 7 and 2 1/2 ( all skinny boys, who eat loads) and we try not to go over £400 per month, all groceries, cleaning, toiletries and nappies/wipes for the youngest.
    I usually mainly shop at Ald!, with the occasional small shop at Mr T's as Ald! doesn't have everything. I also like to go to B$M and Her*n foods once a month to get the cheap bits from there.

During July I'm aiming to stick to one main shop and a top up each week. I've already done my menu plan for the month and don't have to buy much meat/fish so it should be a fairly good month, as long as I'm not tempted by loads of treats/special offers!
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • FoxFace
    FoxFace Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Morning all :)

Still haven't spent anything since I left the June thread, although my July isn't technically until Saturday so I'm in a kind of limbo at the moment

Stoopy, we are two adults, a teen, a preteen and a dog and we spend £60 per week :) But it's very much a personal thing and probably better if you take it slowly rather than an immediate drastic reduction, your new budget looks absolutely fine :)

Have a lovely day everyone!
    Fox
    x
    Debt Free Journey started 21.05.2017
  • Sewinglady
    Sewinglady Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Hi - May I join please? I have been lurking and waiting for the July thread to start and want to aim for a budget of £250. Truthfully there is only me and two dogs - and so this should be well over - but I am on SW and find it hard to keep within a £300 budget!! I am hoping that this challenge will be a start and I can then keep reducing slightly over the forthcoming months.
    Grocery Challenge - July
    £116.87/ £250
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,092 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    First shop of the month @ £15 so £15/£150
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello everyone! I "missed" June altogether, having been desperately busy work & family-wise, but would like to step back onto the wagon for July. I'll stick to £450 for the 5-6 humans, 4 cats, 2 cockatiels, & 14 (variable!) chickens. I'm working away for 4 days mid-month, and will have to try to make sure all catering arrangements are ready-prepared and clearly spelt out! We have the pleasure of DS3's company for an unknown length of time whilst he waits for his latest rental arrangement (sub-letting from a friend) to "complete", and he can be a bit of a fusspot food wise, but he's earning & can feed himself if necessary.

But - why didn't I realise that kittens eat twice a much as adult cats? And that "kitten" food is more expensive? And that two kittens eat more than twice as much as one...? Not to mention that we now need new curtains in the living room. Ah well, they are very, very cute and a whole lot of fun...
    Angie - GC April 24 £532.07/£480 - oops: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Snorky6
    Options
    Can I join in please. Looking at last month we spent about £320 which seems way too much for 2 adults. I'm sure we could get this down. I would like to aim for £300 this month. :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 June 2018 at 11:11AM
    Options
    Can I join in, please?

We're 2 adults, one very hungry nearly 4-year-old boy and a greyhound. :rotfl:

My budget is £200

My month runs 26th to 25th and we're currently at £145 leftover. This is because we did an Ocado shop for dog food, but this will now last us 2 months or so.

We've got full store cupboards and quite a lot in the freezer (including work lunches for myself for about 2 weeks), so should be fine.

DS gets "free" meals in nursery where he is 5 days a week. Husband and I get free fruit at work which we eat as snacks.

We're vegan and mostly shop in Aldi, so most of our meals are really cheap.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure