Lloyds Bank Reclaim package

Hi everyone,

I recently did a claim for a bank account package as when i got this account i was 18 (33 now) and got pressured into getting the account. i help this account and upgraded it due to being talked into it. I never used any of the benefits. So i cancelled the account 3 years and 1 month ago. Lloyds called me we discussed the account why it was taken out etc.

Since then I contacted them after a missed call, and they told me that due to it being out of the 3 year limit to claim they will not be taking my claim any further.

So since i been on the site a few days. Is it worth taking this claim to the ombudsman or is that it? are there any further steps i can take ? ive never claimed on anything before so am very new too all these processes.

any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,631
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If the time bar has been correctly applied, that is to say, they wrote to you more than 3 years ago explaining the account benefits and making you aware you can close it or go to a free one then they can time bar it and the Ombudsman will not be able to overrule this unless you moved within the last 3 years and the bank wrote to the old address. Note they do not have to prove you received the letter if addressed correctly, it is deemed delivered 2 working days after sending if sent first class.

Your friend you mentioned on the other thread may have taken the account out in the last 6 years (in which case the 6 year rule will not be in effect so they can't time bar it) or the bank may simply have paid out rather than fighting it
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    jmchown wrote: »

any help is appreciated.
    You've already received responses to your several duplicate posts.

Here;
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74437016

And here;
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74436775

Is there something else you want to ask?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,040
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    So i cancelled the account 3 years and 1 month ago.

You have 3 years to raise a complaint from being reasonably aware of an issue. It is a hard line in the sand. One day over and the firm can timebar you from complaint and the FOS cannot look at it unless the timebar is being applied incorrectly or the firm decide to waive the timebar (which is unlikely if they have quoted the timebar in their initial rejection).

The FOS do accept a change of bank account as a trigger point for starting the 3 year clock,
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • jmchown
    jmchown Posts: 5 Forumite
    I started my own thread as was requested so thats why i put it here.

My friend actually took it out just after me and stopped it before me, so he was outside both 6 and 3 years.

no change of address and i dont have any letters but as you said if they have the correct address nothing i can do.

Thank you for your prompt replies and help. much appreciated.

some personal responding need to realise people dont know how the system works even after reading forum guidelines. Instead of jumping down throats just explain kindly or maybe have a small line to say start your own thread. Everyone is here to learn. Don't put people off asking for help if you have the ability to help them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure