🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

interpretation of settlement

Options

Comments

• k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    matlof wrote: »
    We have signed a settlement - COT 3, the company paid 175 thousand pounds and committed to carefully review the matter and take appropriate action in relation to the situation that took place. People who were discriminated against were to be punished and personally apologized, but this was not done

You're seriously suggesting that without legal support you extracted £175k from the NHS on behalf of your wife and are not satisfied that there hasn't been a public flogging

If this is true the world's gone mad :mad::mad::mad:

@Sangie595 please tell us this isn't possible - I'd consider a sex change, a pregnancy and a nationality change for £175k
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

I have recorded part of this conversation so I will be able to prove that they are lying. Unfortunately, I do not have the whole conversation because I turned on the recording at the end of our conversation but I recorded the apology issues. Unfortunately, the quality is quite weak but you can hear something[/QUOTE]

The recording, and anything they "promised", doesn't matter - it predates the agreement you/your wife signed. If you wanted them to honour these promises you should have sent the (unsigned) agreement back and had it amended accordingly and then sign it. You didn't do this, you've lost your chance.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    k3lvc wrote: »
    You're seriously suggesting that without legal support you extracted £175k from the NHS on behalf of your wife and are not satisfied that there hasn't been a public flogging

If this is true the world's gone mad :mad::mad::mad:

@Sangie595 please tell us this isn't possible - I'd consider a sex change, a pregnancy and a nationality change for £175k
    Would I say something like that?

The NHS need much better lawyers. An award plus legal fees wouldn't have amounted to that much so I am amazed they recommended agreement to the settlement figure. There are some very poor lawyers out there.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,756 Forumite
    Options
    I don't wish to call you a liar but... I don't believe you. There's poor lawyers and then there's that. Even as someone who has no legal training I'd have saved the NHS more money than that.

If by some slim chance is it true the fact that despite the hugely inflated award you're still attempting to extract more is staggering.
  • polgara
    polgara Posts: 500 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Highly improbable in the NHS - for any payment outside of a contractual payment there would need to be approval by NHS Improvement etc (I.e. outside of the trust itself) as that is public money and they don’t easily allow large payments like that. NHSI would generally rather go to tribunal and see what the Trust’s counsel can do (in my experience)
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We have signed a settlement - COT 3, the company paid 175 thousand pounds and committed to carefully review the matter and take appropriate action in relation to the situation that took place. People who were discriminated against were to be punished and personally apologized, but this was not done

If you really have £175k, !!!!!! are you doing asking strangers on the internet for legal advice that you can clearly afford. Unless, like the first thread, this is one massive wind up.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • matlof
    matlof Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    I don't wish to call you a liar but... I don't believe you. There's poor lawyers and then there's that. Even as someone who has no legal training I'd have saved the NHS more money than that.

If by some slim chance is it true the fact that despite the hugely inflated award you're still attempting to extract more is staggering.

I don't think that it was inflanted aword. You don't know exactly what happend in that company, how that afected my wife.

Yes I am trying attempt more, this what was agreed. And I don't care about more money. If we get more I am going to to spend it on charity. However, I will fight for what was agreed so that people would respond for their actions.
    I am currently convinced that the company has made a settlement in order to hide what happened.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have recorded part of this conversation so I will be able to prove that they are lying. Unfortunately, I do not have the whole conversation because I turned on the recording at the end of our conversation but I recorded the apology issues. Unfortunately, the quality is quite weak but you can hear something

Why does it matter if anyone is 'lying'? You don't even say what they were 'lying' about!

What matters is what was agreed. What was agreed is what is written in the COT3.

If you aren't happy with what was written in the COT3, then that is just too bad. It is too late to try and rewrite the COT3 now.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't think that it was inflanted aword. You don't know exactly what happend in that company, how that afected my wife.

Yes I am trying attempt more, this what was agreed. And I don't care about more money. If we get more I am going to to spend it on charity. However, I will fight for what was agreed so that people would respond for their actions.
    I am currently convinced that the company has made a settlement in order to hide what happened.

Will you give back the £175k then and start afresh to "enforce" the apology? (Being generous to the OP I suspect there is a decimal place or two missing.)
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,756 Forumite
    Options

That's almost entirely what a settlement agreement is for. That and to avoid dragging it through courts. What else do you think it's for?

I'd be surprised if a company agreed to go through a disciplinary process as part of the agreement, they could have done that and not paid your wife anything. Generally I'd expect a settlement agreement to be money and possibly an agreed reference, nothing more.
    nicechap wrote: »
    Will you give back the £175k then and start afresh to "enforce" the apology? (Being generous to the OP I suspect there is a decimal place or two missing.)

Maybe so, £17.5k is more believable, unless the OPs wife was earning several hundred thousand a year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport