PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Cats pee!!

Options

Comments

• westernpromise
    westernpromise Posts: 4,833 Forumite
    Options
    Probably the landlord is waiting for someone to say they'll take the place as long as he deals with the cat slash. Once they do so and he's got your deposit, he doesn't deal with it.

You've then got to either put up with it or pay to move again.
  • Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    Any decent landlord would totally replace the carpets with new ones, after a good cleaning of the floor.
    Simply cleaning the existing carpets will only exacerbate the issue; the stink will be worse as the wet will feed the bacteria that causes the smell.

Let this be a precursor of what to expect from this particular LL.
  • Rambosmum
    Rambosmum Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have cats, but cat pee is really really hard to get out - we moved in to a new house and had to remove the carpet, underlay and insulation in one room the smell was so bad.

I'd avoid at all costs unless the landlord is wiling to replace the carpet and underlay.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes avoid, a decent landlord would sort this out BEFORE showing potietnal tenents.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I've had cats and know the smell of their urine is unmaskable !

I have to agree with others on this, if the landlord is this lax imagine what the situation would be if you were to ever ask him to get something done for you.

For the record:
    Carpet cleaning can, when you over saturate the carpet and underlay, smell a bit like cats whilst it dries out - I discovered this last year when I moved into a new home ! (No animals had lived here previously, by the way, and not got cats now)
    I have a Rug Doctor and had used this on many occasions before but this time I went over the same stain spot repeatedly ..... big mistake .... the saturation smell was disgusting and just like cats pee !
  • betterlatethannever
    Options
    Wow and thank you for all the replies.
    Sadly, I'll have to let this one go, although i think i knew that anyway, but desperation and a desire for the area was clouding my thoughts.
    The first time we said hello, was the first time we said goodbye. As the angels took your tiny hand and flew you to the sky-you forever left us breathless. RIP my beautiful granddaughter :(
  • mangog
    mangog Posts: 145 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like the right decision! Something better (and less stinky!) will come along soon I'm sure. Good luck with your search!
  • hb2
    hb2 Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    desperation and a desire for the area was clouding my thoughts.

That's probably what the landlord is counting on!
    It's not difficult!
    'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
    'Wonder' - to feel curious.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Wise decision. Any landlord worth their salt would have dealt with the cat pee before marketing the property.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,515 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Two of the bedrooms in my first house had a persistent smell of human urine. The only way to get rid of it was to replace carpets and underlay ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure