PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

First Time Buyer Dilemma

Options

Comments

• Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sure, the OP and his OH are very fortunate. Would we all had parents like that. They also sound very sensible and responsible; refreshingly so. Wish I had something to contribute other than agreeing with Hazyjo. I too would go for the best house in the best area and hang the commute. Also second the live-in child care if feasible. I imagine it should be appreciably cheaper and much more flexible, hours-wise.
  • gonsdad
    gonsdad Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    Filo25 wrote: »
    What a ludicrous comment, Hazyjo has been extremely helpful to many of us on here during house searches, and I was very grateful for their comments during mine, I grew up in a council estate in Northern Ireland during the Troubles, does that make me a child of privilege as well.

I would also agree with their comments on this as well

(S)he also made a couple of sneering and dismissive comments when I asked a fairly sensible question about a 5% mortgage. Don't think I'd have got that if I had a few hundred grand in the bank.
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    gonsdad wrote: »
    Crawling straight up the backside of posters the second they reveal a bit of privilege and wealth? Truly the Basil Fawlty of MSE...

I'm beginning to think you like to post in a controversial manner,not just on this thread but another recently too.

You've not been around here long and on the whole these threads give good advice to those that ask.

If you have good advice to give then please stay around,if you wish to snipe at people insult them or make comments not linked to the thread content that could be attributed to the act of trolling then please leave or prepare to be reported.

These threads are friendly threads,the posters may not agree and sometimes have differing views but we do value respect!
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Mate, I made no 'sneering comments' re your post. If you wanted me to lie or wrap you in cotton wool first, you should have said. I only speak the truth on here. tbh I rarely take any notice of who posts what. I hardly ever remember who's who (except for a handful of regulars). Can't say I'd have remembered you from Adam (I obviously made more of an impact lol).

I raise your (now) 30 posts with my 10,630, most of them on these boards. Start on me again for no reason with absolutely no valuable contribution to the thread and I will be reporting.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    (S)he also made a couple of sneering and dismissive comments when I asked a fairly sensible question about a 5% mortgage. Don't think I'd have got that if I had a few hundred grand in the bank.

not sure I see anything sneering or dismissive,perhaps you could explain??

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74404282#post74404282

Lets get this cleared up quickly so the OP can continue to get the answers they deserve from their thread.

Holding a grudge is never a good idea but clearly this has been simmering for a week!!!
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    not sure I see anything sneering or dismissive,perhaps you could explain??

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74404282#post74404282

Lets get this cleared up quickly so the OP can continue to get the answers they deserve from their thread.

Holding a grudge is never a good idea but clearly this has been simmering for a week!!!

I don't see any "finger-wagging" either. Touchy, much.
  • gonsdad
    gonsdad Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    I don't see any "finger-wagging" either. Touchy, much.

Well I was basically accused of being irresponsible at best, a criminal at worst for daring to consider a mortgage when I had money to pay on a credit card plus an HMRC debt.

Perhaps they were right but I got the Agreement in Principle through the other day after putting both debts on the forms, so there is some hope.
  • letitbe90
    letitbe90 Posts: 345 Forumite
    Options

I sense a bruised ego, jealousy and a dash of an inferiority complex.
  • goodwithsaving
    goodwithsaving Posts: 1,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Remove that chip off your shoulder and leave one of our valued posters alone. Jo has supported me both in posts and also via messages when I have really needed help. I know I'm not the only one!

The advice is sensible and your circumstances determine the advice you're likely given, and your options.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Why would I treat anyone with money differently? I don't have loads of money in the bank. I don't save a penny. No Uni education. Me and my BF live on one secretary's salary - MINE! We CHOOSE for him not to work for his sanity. He doesn't get benefits either.

I didn't come from money LOL. My mum and dad came from poor families. My dad flogged his bloody guts out as a butcher (went on to be a Partner but still worked on the factory floor) but then never even got to spend anything in retirement before he died. Get your bloody facts right before that chip starts mouthing off.

I LOVE posts on here when someone asks how to go about buying - whether they're spending £100k or £1,000,000. Even if someone with a budget of £800,000 comes on here with unrealistic expectations, I will tell them they're deluded.

Thanks for the support peeps. I would be upset at the prod if there was an element of truth, but I know they're completely talking out their @rse and are obviously very short of attention what with all the digs to get reactions, so am happy to give some to make them feel a bit better about themselves.

Back to the thread now please.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family