No fault claim via Credit Hire Company

Options
BB.
BB. Posts: 75 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker
edited 18 June 2018 at 10:09PM in Insurance & life assurance
Hello all,

My car was crashed into when parked outside the house on the street when I was on holiday. My neighbor took the details of the motorbike rider who rode into my car but not sure she saw the whole accident. There was also another car involved but I only have the reg number of that car.

My insurer Diamond are pushing me to use their credit hire company Auxilis. They say I will have to pay excess otherwise for having my car driven into when parked! I have a legal cover btw.

I called the 3rd party insurer first -MCE, thinking they will be happy to deal with it but they are not and say they will deal with my insurer instead. Strange I think.

When dealing with Auxilis they asked me for the phone number of the driver who crashed into my car so they can call him to find out what happened. I did not have it, only the address and reg number, but told them he already called his insurance and they will be able to give that to them. They say they cannot because they are not my insurer and the other company will not give it to them. So I had to travel to the guy and get his number of his flat mate.

How pointless is that? Why can not I deal with my insurer or the 3rd party insurer. Instead of paying into credit companies pockets.

Am I correct in saying that if I go with my insurance company I will get my excess back as I have legal cover? Also my NCB is protected. But then the accident will not be a no fault one anymore and will affect my future premiums? Why my insurer will not deal with it on no fault basis?
Any advise will be appreciated.

Many thanks
Bea

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    You don't have to use auxillis - unless you agreed to!

You can insist that your claim is dealt with by your insurer in accordance with your policy!

Your excess is an uninsured loss which you can get reimbursed from the liable third party just like any other uninsured losses. Your legal cover will do this for you
  • BB.
    Options
    Thanks a lot Quentin for your quick response. I had to edit my original post so it makes more sense now.
  • Jlo31
    Jlo31 Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I may be wrong but MCE is a motorbike insurance broker. You need to contact the insurance company that underwrites the third parties insurance. Go to ASKMID.com on your mobile and you can put your and there reg number in and it will give you the number of their insurance underwriter. Then give them a ring directly.

Good luck.

Jlo31
  • BB.
    Options
    Quentin,

What if the bike owner decides it was not his fault but the other driver and they cannot agree on this? Will I still get my excess refunded?

Also, I did not sign anything with Auxilis but when Dimond gave me those two options I instinctively went for no excess paid option and they sent me a document saying that my claim has been closed.

This is not fair to try make money like that.

Diamond has really bad reviews on Trust pilot. Not sure who is worse.

:(
  • BB.
    Options
    Jlo31 wrote: »
    I may be wrong but MCE is a motorbike insurance broker. You need to contact the insurance company that underwrites the third parties insurance. Go to ASKMID.com on your mobile and you can put your and there reg number in and it will give you the number of their insurance underwriter. Then give them a ring directly.

Good luck.

Jlo31

Thanks Jlo31 but this result I got of askMID. When I called them they already knew about the accident so I think they are an insurer also.
  • Jlo31
    Jlo31 Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ahh OK. Sorry I could not help.

I think some Insurance companies have special departments to deal directly with third parties but obviously mce does not have this facility.

That's a shame.

Good luck getting it all sorted out.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    Quentin,

What if the bike owner decides it was not his fault but the other driver and they cannot agree on this? Will I still get my excess refunded?

Also, I did not sign anything with Auxilis but when Dimond gave me those two options I instinctively went for no excess paid option and they sent me a document saying that my claim has been closed.

This is not fair to try make money like that.

Diamond has really bad reviews on Trust pilot. Not sure who is worse.

:(

Did diamond give you the cheapest car insurance quote at the time?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 19 June 2018 at 11:14AM
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    Quentin,

Unless liability is clear cut it's unlikely your insurer would pass you to an accident management company (or that the AMC would take you on!)

But to answer the question were it to end up as a split liability (eg 50/50 then you would get 50% of your uninsured losses reimbursed by the third party insurer)

If you haven't entered into an agreement with Auxilis then you can get your insurer to open up your claim!
  • Weave
    Weave Posts: 174 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 June 2018 at 2:36PM
    Options
    We are just in the middle of a no fault claim with our insurer Admiral. They passed us over to Auxillis and it has not been straight forward.

We got a nice courtesy car but the third party insurer has ignored Auxillis to date. We should have been paid the write off valuation 4 weeks ago. I have spoken to Admiral and they have now taken the claim back and are sending us a cheque in the next day or two. It appears accident management companies don't have the same authority to enforce payment within a set time so can be ignored until court gets involved. Admiral say they will pay us and sort it with the third party whereas Auxillis will not do this.

I wish we had not gone to Auxillis. My advise is go with your insurer and claim your excess back as an uninsured loss via your legal cover. We don't have legal cover but can claim via a no win no fee service (Admiral Law) as the other side admitted fault. I just hope Admiral Law are more proactive than Auxillis or this will take forever to get sorted!
  • BB.
    edited 20 June 2018 at 9:23PM
    Options
    Thanks Weave.

Auxillis have said that if the 3rd party insurance does not pay up they will take a liability insurance on my behalf for free which will protect me against any charges. The lady was very quick when reading their T&Cs so I did not actually manage to ask whether I will get my money back of that cover as well. They were meant to send me the t&c but I have not received anything yet.

Admiral and Diamond are part of the same group I believe so I hope I can expect the same from Diamond. Although Admiral has got better reviews.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure