We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Nemaslug

Has any one on here used nemaslug to control slugs and snails? I am considering using it to protect my hostas if nothing else. There is little slug activity just not as its so dry, but once the ground gets wet I know they will be out in force again.

If you have used it, how many times did you apply it through the season to keep the slugs at bay. I have tried all sorts of other things, egg shells etc, I do not like using slug pellets, although I have in the past.

Comments

• d0nkeyk0ng
    d0nkeyk0ng Posts: 873
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I bought this a couple of weeks ago. I'm waiting for the next pack to arrive - it's every 6 weeks i think. It works on slugs but not on snails.
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,565
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I used it last year & it was all but useless.
    It is very dependent on the soil temperature & last year the soil temperature was not high enough.
    It is also expensive & by the time you realise it is not working the slugs have scoffed your plants !!.
    I just use slug pellets now but even then they are becoming useless.
  • ed1178
    ed1178 Posts: 19 Forumite
    No personal experience, but my sister used in in her small London garden and was happy with the results. Nothing appeared to happen for the first few days, then suddenly the lawn and paths were covered in dead slugs each morning for days. We were very careful to clear them all- remember if you have pets they can pick up something nasty from slugs and snails (lungworms?) - the dog seemed to be equally pleased with the little squishy treats freshly delivered to his garden every day!
  • d0nkeyk0ng
    d0nkeyk0ng Posts: 873
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Well I used it (once) and there were still slugs about - just not as many.

I think it works best if the soil is constantly moist (which is difficult in this hot weather). And I think it works best if you start early in the year. I've tried slug pellets with limited success but the blighters still manage to munch on my lettuce.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure