We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Motorcycle insurance refusing cover

Options
13»

Comments

• Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    The relevant section (143) of the Act covers third-party risks
    It doesn't actually - the words third party do not appear. It requires the policy to cover liabilities arising out of the driver/rider's use of the vehicle, then lists some exceptions, none of which obviously apply to the mate's liability for damaging the op's property. So assuming I've got the facts right jn my post above, again, what law allows the op's mate to ride with a policy which apparently doesn't cover any of his liabilities to the OP?
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,318 Forumite
    Options
    Aretnap wrote: »
    It doesn't actually - the words third party do not appear. It requires the policy to cover liabilities arising out of the driver/rider's use of the vehicle, then lists some exceptions, none of which obviously apply to the mate's liability for damaging the op's property. So assuming I've got the facts right jn my post above, again, what law allows the op's mate to ride with a policy which apparently doesn't cover any of his liabilities to the OP?

Eh? The relevant section [Road Traffic Act 1988, 143] is headed "Users of motor vehicles to be insured or secured against third-party risks", and clauses 1(a) & (b) are specifically about such risks.

There is no legal requirement to be insured against any other risks.

The policy would fully cover the mate's legal liabilities to 3rd parties, it's simply the case that the OP isn't one of them.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Eh? The relevant section [Road Traffic Act 1988, 143] is headed "Users of motor vehicles to be insured or secured against third-party risks", and clauses 1(a) & (b) are specifically about such risks.

There is no legal requirement to be insured against any other risks.

The policy would fully cover the mate's legal liabilities to 3rd parties, it's simply the case that the OP isn't one of them.

Surely it’ll be the law in the given European country, he may not have cover.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,318 Forumite
    Options
    Surely it’ll be the law in the given European country, he may not have cover.
    A British insurance policy will usually (always?) give at least the minimum required cover anywhere in the EU.

The fact that the accident was abroad seems to be irrelevant. The issue is that the OP is not a 3rd party to the policy.
  • mvpetev
    mvpetev Posts: 9 Forumite
    edited 20 June 2018 at 11:04AM
    Options
    The relevant section (143) of the Act covers third-party risks. You are not a third party. (The insurer and yourself are the first and second parties to the contract.)

So the damage to your bike is not covered by the TP element of the policy.

Agreed - as much as i dont like the answer I have personally, and multiple other folk as well, confirmed that apparently if another insured under the same policy driver hits a vehicle you own - insurance doesnt work.

Anyhow I mean I`ll deal with it somehow. I hope the post at least at some point helps a folk in similar situation.

Thank you all for everything!

Cheers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills