Barclays Current Account with Blue Rewards. How to Switch?

Options
I opened a Barclays Current Account with Blue Rewards as per MSE advice.
To get the £14/mth reward, I am required to complete a full switch using the "Current Account Switch Service".

Unlike other banks, I was not asked for details of the bank to switch from.
There is no facility online for "Current Account Switch Service".

Does anyone know how to switch?!

Comments

• Weybridge78
    Weybridge78 Posts: 208 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I am doing this too. Make an appointment at your nearest branch. You need to take in the debit card of the account you're switching from and some ID such as a passport and something for proof of address.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,569 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I clicked through the link at the top of the thread where the deal was first mentioned- if I remember rightly- and opened the account and detailed the switch at the same time. I even opened a Barclaycard ( another £1 pm) at the same time.

You would need to take your ID docs into a branch anyway for verification. If it's a small branch that requires an appointment with a 'Moment Banker'- if it's a large branch you may be able to just walk in.

My switch went very smoothly.
    The following number may be of help- but I think they are only open weekdays:
    0333 202 7458
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • Blue_Max
    Blue_Max Posts: 725 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thanks guys! Guess I will have to make another trip to the major branch in town.

The questions they asked for ID check were not type one tend to rememeber and it failed. Did not give more chances as is usual with password, etc.
    I was asked to go to the bank, which I did. They did not tell me about account switching.

So another 12 mile round trip and parking fees.
    Gives me a bad impression of their efficency.
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Blue_Max wrote: »

If you're opening an account at the same time as switching, you can theoretically do both at the same time using the link from this page:

https://www.barclays.co.uk/current-accounts/switch-bank-account/

If you've already opened an account you'll have to apply for the switch in branch.
    : )
  • fleemkt
    fleemkt Posts: 175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    From what I can see, whether you're an exisiting or new customer, you need to visit a branch to start the switch process. If any one has experienced differently, please confirm.

I find it rediculous that Barclays are unable to switch and complete the process online.

It's difficult finding the time to pop into a local branch, and if it's a small branch, you're likely going to have to make an appointment (not suggested on the website!).

If you pop into a larger branch, there is still the risk of not being seen!

Why can't Barclays offer an online switch for new & exisiting such as Natwest?
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,986 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    fleemkt wrote: »
    From what I can see, whether you're an exisiting or new customer, you need to visit a branch to start the switch process. If any one has experienced differently, please confirm.

No, for new customers, for certain, you can start the CASS on line at ac opening.

I'm not sure why existing customers can't just open an additional ac and behave like a new customer?

However ID requires a branch visit, anyhow.

I find it rediculous that Barclays are unable to switch and complete the process online.

They all have their hoops... some more ridiculous than others.
    It's difficult finding the time to pop into a local branch, and if it's a small branch, you're likely going to have to make an appointment (not suggested on the website!).

If you pop into a larger branch, there is still the risk of not being seen!

As I understand it you don't HAVE to, but IMO always best to make an appointment...saves a wasted journey or lost time.. even if not necessarily needed.

Why can't Barclays offer an online switch for new & exisiting such as Natwest?

Different strokes..:)
  • Blue_Max
    Blue_Max Posts: 725 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I followed the MSE link. Clicked on 'Apply with Blue Rewards' and applied.

During the online application, I was NOT given an option to switch.
    Unlike other banks, I was not asked for details of the bank to switch from.

I had to visit the bank twice. First for ID check and the second for the switch.
    Since online banking started many years ago, this is the first time ever I had to visit a branch.

Around 5 hours for the two journies and waiting at the bank.
    Plus parking charges.

Compared to my experience with other banks, opening an account with Barclays has proved to be time-consuming and frustrating.
    I am feeling rather apprehensive about my future relationship with Barclays.
    So, I am reluctant to use my Barclays account and other services, as much as I was intending.
  • fleemkt
    Options
    soulsaver wrote: »
    No, for new customers, for certain, you can start the CASS on line at ac opening.

I'm not sure why existing customers can't just open an additional ac and behave like a new customer?

However ID requires a branch visit, anyhow.

Yeah, that's what I meant. You have to visit a branch whichever route you take.

Although I'm an existing customer with an old savings account, I did contemplate applying as a new customer but that also would have entail a branch visit. I wonder what implications that would have had - an exsiting customer applying as new? Wouldn't have made any difference in terms of the switch process by the look of it.
  • fleemkt
    Options
    Blue_Max wrote: »

Around 5 hours for the two journies and waiting at the bank.
    Plus parking charges.

Compared to my experience with other banks, opening an account with Barclays has proved to be time-consuming and frustrating.

I might just give it a miss altogether as I probably can't be bothered with the effort required. Might just seetle for normal Blue Rewards and wait until the next Double Rewards when hopefully they'll have an online sitch option!

You said you 'applied with blue rewards'. I noticed there's also a 'switch to a sole account' option. I wonder if this just marks the application as an interst to switch but a branch visit is required to complete the particulars?
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've been stunned today! Like never before.

Went for my interview at Barclays this morning and everything went smoothly - until the credit scoring went against me. Obviously they couldn't say why. My credit is well nigh perfect. Credit cards with limits like £7K to £9K, even my little used Barclaycard which I've had since 2015 for a stooze has got a £9500 limit on it.

No CC judgements against me, no missed payments, any number of regular savers successfully opened plus a few switches over recent years. Owner occupier, been at the same address for many years. It is a long time since I obtained my credit score as I felt that I had no need to. But today I joined the MSE Credit Club to get my Experian score.

It is 902/999. Is that bad? There were some mild comments in the summary bit.

The only thing I can think of is too many financial transactions. Too many accounts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure