🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Type of Porch is best?

Options
£!$£&*(£$
£!$£&*(£$ Posts: 29 Forumite
Has anybody any thoughts on Porches?

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have thoughts on Porsches.

Porches don't add value. There's no question. :o.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is there such a thing as a "Skilled labourer"?
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,365 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    genau wrote: »
    My main skill is I focus and control every bit of work so although I don't actually do the brickwork I'm there watching it as it's being done, I help pass the bricks, buy the bricks, check they are not putting washing up liquid in the mixture etc etc

That'll put the brickie's rates up :-)

A brick porch weighs more, so will need some foundation slab to stop it sinking away from the house. A wood one can be screwed to the house and will pretty much float on thin air (as they tend to do when the base rots away).

Cheapest of all are probably the plastic prefab ones.
    The average cost of supply only upvc porches ranges between £900 & £1,100. This will get you a uPVC framed, full glass sided porch with a single double glazed door and poly-carbonate roof.
    https://www.doubleglazingpriceguide.org.uk/cost-of-upvc-porches/

http://www.diyconservatoryshop.co.uk/html/Diy-Upvc-Porches-Supplied-Throughout-The-Uk.html

http://www.masterplastics.co.uk/porch.html

and others.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh that's really a bit mean :( I am a very highly skilled labourer, I can take old white lime plaster off of old bricks without breaking them! That's hugely skilled, I make really good tea just like builders like it, I make great jokes that make the tradesman laugh, plus I never take it personally when they are taking the micky out of me even though I know they do mean it personally,I never boss them around, I don't say anything when they're late or take twice as long to do a job and I never keep phoning them when they never bother replying to my texts or my phone calls
    I'm highly skilled!!!!!!!!

That's not skilled labourer, that's site manager!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Cheapest of all are probably the plastic prefab ones - supply only upvc porches ranges between £900 & £1,100

It’s very difficult to find prices for porches online, and we have tried! As far as we can tell, you could expect an average price for a porch to be around £2,500 to £3,000.
    This price should allow you to build a porch of 3 square metre size (under planning requirement size) including the base, roof, 2 window openers, uPVC front door and possible use of dwarf brick walls to the sides of the porch.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,105 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Build a decent timber one, detail it well, use good, durable, cladding and it'll add as much value as a brick one.
    It's funny the English obsession with masonry construction
  • System
    Options
    Are you having lived in the USA or Canada because they are fond of wooden structures, think little house on the prarie and "The Amish" with Harrison Ford? I know wood is very much in favour but it just doesn't last the same way surely?
    yeah there are no examples of timber frame houses lasting at all in any country throughout Scandinavia, north america or even in scotland.... incidentally I have worked in Canada where even four/five story apartment blocks are made in timber frame, but I've also done lots of timber frame construction throughout the uk too
    All those wooden framed houses they seem so flimsy and not to mention what happens when we get a hurricane or hurricane type winds it will just blow over.
    If your building flimsy timber frame you are doing it wrong, it's a complete fallacy, I've done timber frame houses in very exposed locations on the west coast of Scotland and they haven't blown away yet!
    There is alot of wisdom in old fairy stories or fables, don't you remember the story of the little pigs?

Something about the silly pig built his house out of straw and the not so silly but badly advised second one built his out of wood and the really "in the know" clever MSE forum reading piggy built his one out of bricks? That piggie probably got a good discount from Jewsons and he's probably still living in his nice brick bungalow and the wolf never got him. Remember?

Plus it's even in the bible doesn't it say something about a foolish man built his house on sand? Wise man built his house on rock? Any Christians in the house tonight?

few too many sherries tonight? if you are basing your choice of construction on nursery rhymes and other made up stories then I worry - read some non fiction on construction ;)
  • System
    Options
    there's some pretty old pagodas in asia I reckon but any building where they have significant cultural or religious purposes also have maintenance and protection - sorry to be the bearer of bad news, your friends porch isn't going to be there for thousands of years no matter if you build it out of brick or timber!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Has anybody any thoughts on Porches?

I quite like the 911. I think they have their engines at the back.

porsche-911-rear.jpg?itok=TodTlcyH
  • System
    Options
    C'mon op, why delete all your posts? it looks like i'm having a mad outpouring otherwise!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport