Sending £15k in one go?

Options
2»

Comments

• NelliePie
    NelliePie Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I didn't get any - but I assume it'll be confirming you name and details, why you're sending the money and to whom
    Little One born 19/12/18
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
    FTB June '17 - £144k mortgage, £134k remaining
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,253 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can I enquire as to what kind of security questions they tend to ask so I'm prepared.
    For example:

Which bank account did you open in December 2015?
    - That's a difficult one if you're a multi account fan. It helps to have your latest credit report available.

With whom do you have a joint account at NatWest?
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Vortigern wrote: »
    They'll block the transfer and ask you to ring them.

You'll answer a few security questions. You'll explain where the money is going. They'll warn you about various scams, then stay on the line while you complete the transaction.

Exactly what happened to me with Lloyds a couple of weeks ago transferring £26K.

Security questions were "pick from multiple choice answers".

One question was "confirm yes or no if you have one of the following CCs" & proceeded to list about 8. Though I answered "none", much later I remembered I did have one but never used it so chopped it up. Another was "which 2 initials are the first 2 of your joint account holders first name". He listed so many & so fast by the time he'd finished I'd forgotten the question! Next was "what age will you be on your next birthday", nearly made myself a year younger on that one.

Personally, I'd have failed myself based on my dopey responses, but he seemed happy & lifted the block.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    You are lucky I had exactly the same experience and failed the call had to go into the branch with my passport etc !

I definitely hesitated on my age next birthday -
    when asked on the spot it's surprisingly difficult to remember! also he reeled off a list of initials asking which I was the company director of I said none only to remember later on it was in fact the management company of the flats I live in where everybody is a director
  • Brewer20
    Brewer20 Posts: 395 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I move money around regularly from my sole account it sometimes goes through the joint account as well, no problems.

My wife hardly ever moves money around, well she doesn't have much anyway but the one time she did want to transfer over £2k out of her account it got blocked. It was to a new payee and even though she'd set up the transfer up with the banking authorisation codes etc it still took a phone call to find out why it hadn't arrived at it's destination. She had to go through a series of security questions with the banks fraud protection dept then it was accepted and they fired it on to it's destination. I think they called it usual activity on the account.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Its more likely to be flagged for a check if you try doing it in the middle of the night - like this post.
  • bilal10
    Options
    How long does it take for a £15k transfer to go through 
  • Wheres_My_Cashback
    Options
    Tom99 said:
    Its more likely to be flagged for a check if you try doing it in the middle of the night - like this post.
    Utter nonsense, no more likely to happen at 0300 than 1400
  • Wheres_My_Cashback
    Options
    bilal10 said:
    How long does it take for a £15k transfer to go through 
    You blinked and missed it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income