Paid weekly but bills monthly

Options
Afternoon all,
I am wondering if any off you can give me a simple formula for this. I am paid weekly. The gf is paid monthly. All out bills are coming out monthly and we half the bills. Obviously for her half we just half the monthly bills but for my half simply ÷ 4 does not add up (due to not 4 weeks in every month i know) how do i work it out! Don't want to be missing payments just because i can not work this out.
Thanks all

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,119 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You are trying to be too precise.
    Put 1/4 aside every week and when there is a 5th week in the month go out on the town.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You know how much the bills are, you know how many weeks are in each month. Simply divide the bills amount by 4 or 5 depending on how many paydays you get.
  • fromtheshires
    Options
    As others have said befor eme, you know what your half of hte bill is going to be if fixed like a rent or mortgage and for variable bills, you should be able to get an average.

From that divide into 4 and save that amount each week as a minimum.

As an aside when I got paid weekly, I used to save so much more money than getting paid monthly. I dont know why, it just worked out I could save more getting paid weekly. You may suprise yourself and can save loads.
  • sitesafe
    sitesafe Posts: 544 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Add up all the bills through the year and divide by 52 then half of that each week.
  • B_G_B
    B_G_B Posts: 502 Forumite
    Options
    I don!!!8217;t quite understand the problem. You pay half the bill amount, ie you pay the same as your girlfriend. What other formula do you need? The fact that you are paid weekly is not relevant.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    All months are about the same 28-31 days.

No such thing as a 5 week month, the may be a 5 weekend month but that is not the same.

Easiest way is to treat 4 weeks a months worth of spends and have an extra "month" at the end of the year for savings or big bills.

The other thing is don't budget on such sort periods the minimum should be a year.

Plan out the year then it just becomes a cash flow issue and if you build up a decent buffer you will always be ahead of most outgoings.

if you have a bills account you just put the same amount each into the account, when you get paid is not the issue.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    All months are about the same 28-31 days.

No such thing as a 5 week month

But there is such a thing as a five payday month.

I suggest the OP budget as if each month had four paydays and then four times a year (approx) his extra fifth pay money can be bunged into a savings account in case of emergencies.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well 52wks ÷ 12months = 4.3 weeks in a month.

or, as said put all bills/spend into a spreadsheet, work out total for the year (half if paying half) and ÷ 52 wks
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    Or you could say it is far too complicated to work out and that your girlfriend hould pay everything
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I agree with B_G_B. There's no calculation required here. Just match what your girlfriend is paying!
    : )
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport