Building the future!

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Gemsy81
    Gemsy81 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi debtfreedreams! I've always liked to set myself goals and challenges but this is the first financial one I have set! I think maybe it is maturity setting in! :)
  • Homegrown0
    Homegrown0 Posts: 1,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well done on avoiding the Christmas Eve boxes! I'm a sucker for Christmas-related treats so i'm impressed :)
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    Pay off by Xmas 2019 #02 - target £10,000
  • Gemsy81
    Gemsy81 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    A delayed end of month round up....,mainly because I have been very busy work-wise doing end of month, end of quarter, budgets for the rest of the year, and also getting ahead of myself with the accountant and my tax return, because I certainly do not want to be thinking about my tax return through the fog of looking after a newborn/trying to keep working at the same time! So work-wise I am feeling super organised, but I do feel pulled in many directions.

Firstly, I had not realised how much more work it entails having a child at school! lol! They have a social life, and all these school-related activities...its mad! At nursery I could just drop him off, pay the bill and forget about it!

Secondly, I ditched all my paid for help at home in the name of budgeting (a cleaner once a week and an ironing lady), which is great for the finances, but I did have them for a reason, not just because I am lazy....it is because running your own business is a 24/7 commitment, and I am rarely not working. So I am trying to be very structured with my week, so everything gets done. I have to be super organised, but it is possible. It means my Sunday afternoons are now given over to getting the house and life in order, when I would rather be collapsing in a tired heap but never mind! :) I like to be busy and always have done. OH helps as much as possible, but again he is very busy with work!

The amended budget worked quite well, with just one major downfall....this bloody grocery budget - again!! £190 over budget which is horrendous. Partially because of the way the month fell I ended up doing five big shops, but again - because I've been too busy to properly meal plan, I have slipped back into small shops and expensive shops....plus a £25 ham from our local butcher, which he cut before I realised how much it cost! So I've allocated part of my Sunday afternoon to sorting the weeks meals, and doing an online shop in the hope I can curtail this. We really don't need to be spending this much. October has already started better as we're on the 7th and I've only spent £73 so far, so hopefully I can keep this up.

I also forgot to budget for Forest School clothes for LO - but that is pretty much him done for clothes and shoes all winter now, fingers crossed.

Just working on the October budget - we have a short half term break, and a birthday to pay for. I've opted out of a birthday part for LO this year - they are so expensive, and he only really has one friend at school as the mo, as he's only just started, so I've just invited him round for tea.

I will update with cc balances once I have made all the payments this month, and we can see where we are debt wise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure