We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Poppies self seeded into Containers?

Options
Frank99
Frank99 Posts: 609 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
I am about to plant my containers up with bedding plants but i notice this year very large poppies have self seeded themselves into the large containers.
They look quite nice although maybe a bit big for the tubs so i'm wondering if to dig them out and replant them elsewhere or plant around them.
They do seem to be more resilient than the bedding plants to hot sun and slug attacks in fact i'm wondering if they are a better bet to replace the bedding plants in future.
Anyone else experienced this?
Enjoy everyday like it's your last!

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,039 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The seeds are likely to have been dropped by birds (and I do mean 'dropped').

Unless they are clearly a known variety, you won't know if they are annuals (plants die and grow from seed next year) or perennials (die back in the winter then grow again from the roots next year).

I wouldn't use them instead of all other bedding plants - they don't flower for long and then the leaves go quite scruffy.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,259 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I'd plant around them, as ST says, the flowers don't last long so I would enjoy them briefly, if you like them let a couple set seed & then sprinkle the seeds where you would like them to flower next year
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    They don't relocate easily, despite the other resilience features.

They're transient. Enjoy while they last.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure