New Gas connection - too expensive

Options
2»

Comments

• Stalemate
    Stalemate Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    spiro wrote: »
    Which company gave you the quote for £3k? There may be more than one operating in your area.
    Suggest you also get a quote for GSH as you need will need to know that to gauge the total cost.

Please can you elaborate further on this? Cadent gave me this quote and I understand that gas distribution companies like Cadent are specific to areas. I have researched and my area only has distribution from Cadent as far as I have seen.
  • Stalemate
    Stalemate Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Gas is cheaper, per hour, to run ... but the overall cost is often hidden from the user/they don't think of it.

£3000 to get gas
    £3000+ to install a gas boiler etc, which might last 10 years
    Gas boiler servicing and fixing ... possibly a monthly "plan" at £25/month

It all adds up.

For, say, 10 years, without that first £3000, it can cost you £600/year just to have it there before you turn it on!

So don't feel too short-changed.

I agree that there are other associated costs as well. I'm comparing this with my electricity bill of £340 for 2.5 months and gas doesn't seem bad unless I'm missing something.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You don't need a maintenance contract with a new boiler: it will have a warranty of 5 years or more if you choose a decent brand. A service is about £90 once a year: so budgetting £25pm is absurdly high.
    Electric heaters are not inefficient: they are 100% efficient! The problem is that the unit rate on a single rate tariff is around 500% more than gas.
    Your other option is to switch to E7 (storage heaters and an immersion heater), which can be similar to the cost of gas CH if properly used. The install cost will be much less than a new mains gas supply.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • A_Nice_Englishman
    Options
    I wouldn't consider the cost of installing a gas connection and central heating a cost to be written off over ten years, I'd consider it an investment in improving the property which should be reflected in the eventual sale price. Or to look at it another way, the OP probably paid less for the flat than he would have had it had GCH when he bought it.

Is £3000 for the connection reasonable? As the main is the other side of the road it will mean digging a trench across it avoiding other underground services, providing signs, cones, lighting and perhaps temporary traffic lights. Then making good afterwards. Several days work for a gang of workers. Don't Councils charge for the time the road is partially closed too now?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure